Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5-LL

Hi All , So i have the QHY5-LL (colour) ... i have downloaded everything but i cant seem to get the camera to work. When i put the cam in the scope it doesnt pick up any light .. nothing ! 

so , if anyone thinks they know what is wrong , please tell me before i go completely mad . 

The pc says the camera is connected and when the camera is not connected to the scope i can point it at a lght source and the camera portrays a blurry light image on the pc screen. 

Any help would be most welcome 

Hi Stu

We'll need to know what scope and how you are attaching the camera to it.

What software are you using to image with ?

What exposures have you tried ?

What were you pointed at ?

Sounds like it's working but is out of focus and under-exposed.

Michael

Hi Michael... firstly , thanks for the reply .

i have a skymax 127 , using sharpcap (which i honestly havent begun to understand yet) i changed the visual back to 2" so i have put in a 2--1"1/4" adapter , and i inserted the cam into the adapter ( i also tried with a fairly cheap single lens barlow) I pointed the scope at jupiter , focussed visually , and then replaced the EP with the cam. Result = black screen ! 

i tried to up the exposure by changing the parameters on the software . 

i too am sure the cam is working .. as when i point the camera directly at my laptop it pics up the light from the screen ( albeit out of focus of course). 

I don’t think that there is any doubt that your camera is working properly. There is a big difference between having the scope aligned to an object, visually, and with a camera! What mount are you using?

It helps to have your finder very accurately aligned to the scope.

i would suggest that after having aligned your finder and inserted the camera that you increase the exposure considerably. Next, using the hand controller very carefully try and move the scope in very small circles, all the while keeping an eye on the laptop screen. Keep checking the finder to make sure that you are still in the right region. It is very easy to pass by the object, it can literally shoot on and off the screen in an instant. Once you get a bright spot on the screen, set the mount tracking and use the lowest  mount alignment speeds that you can. Sometimes even one nudge on the mount controller can send the object off the screen again.

You will get there, just takes a bit of practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Michael... firstly , thanks for the reply .

i have a skymax 127 , using sharpcap (which i honestly havent begun to understand yet) i changed the visual back to 2" so i have put in a 2--1"1/4" adapter , and i inserted the cam into the adapter ( i also tried with a fairly cheap single lens barlow) I pointed the scope at jupiter , focussed visually , and then replaced the EP with the cam. Result = black screen ! 

i tried to up the exposure by changing the parameters on the software . 

i too am sure the cam is working .. as when i point the camera directly at my laptop it pics up the light from the screen ( albeit out of focus of course). 

What eyepiece did you use ? The field of view of the camera will be a lot smaller than most eyepieces, so you might be fairly centred with the eyepiece but still off centre with the camera. Also, the focus point with the eyepiece won't be the same as the camera. You will need to make the eyepiece parfocal with the camera (the camera might have been supplied with a parfocal ring to achieve this)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Also, the focus point with the eyepiece won't be the same as the camera. You will need to make the eyepiece parfocal with the camera (the camera might have been supplied with a parfocal ring to achieve this)

Try on the moon with SharpCap, use the video mode not Long Exposure, and auto exposure, it's visible from about 18:00.

Once the camera is focused, take measurements or mark the focuser so you can get to that setting easily.

Then to aid finding and centreing objects, insert an eyepiece, and without altering the focuser, slide the eyepiece in and out of the focuser until that too is in focus.

Mark or measure the eyepiece barrel so that you can get to that position again, or use a Parfocal Ring as Peter suggests.

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

What eyepiece did you use ? The field of view of the camera will be a lot smaller than most eyepieces, so you might be fairly centred with the eyepiece but still off centre with the camera. Also, the focus point with the eyepiece won't be the same as the camera. You will need to make the eyepiece parfocal with the camera (the camera might have been supplied with a parfocal ring to achieve this)

Hi Peter ... yes it was supplied with this ring ( sorry for being a bit of a novice with this ) .. the instructions are not that clear how to use it .

28 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Try on the moon with SharpCap, use the video mode not Long Exposure, and auto exposure, it's visible from about 18:00.

Once the camera is focused, take measurements or mark the focuser so you can get to that setting easily.

Then to aid finding and centreing objects, insert an eyepiece, and without altering the focuser, slide the eyepiece in and out of the focuser until that too is in focus.

Mark or measure the eyepiece barrel so that you can get to that position again, or use a Parfocal Ring as Peter suggests.

Michael

Michael thats sound advice , and something i will try tonight for sure ,thank you .

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

I don’t think that there is any doubt that your camera is working properly. There is a big difference between having the scope aligned to an object, visually, and with a camera! What mount are you using?

It helps to have your finder very accurately aligned to the scope.

i would suggest that after having aligned your finder and inserted the camera that you increase the exposure considerably. Next, using the hand controller very carefully try and move the scope in very small circles, all the while keeping an eye on the laptop screen. Keep checking the finder to make sure that you are still in the right region. It is very easy to pass by the object, it can literally shoot on and off the screen in an instant. Once you get a bright spot on the screen, set the mount tracking and use the lowest  mount alignment speeds that you can. Sometimes even one nudge on the mount controller can send the object off the screen again.

You will get there, just takes a bit of practice.

just seen your reply Uplooker ... i use an eq5 pro synscan .. good advice about the movement and adjustment .. many thanks