Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Western Veil, narrowband

Stub Mandrel

Hopefully this is the start of a new mosaic.

My new 33mm spacer seems to have come up a bit short as there some poor star shapes in the corners. Printing a new spacer an extra 0.5mm thick.

Really not sure what's right. The lovely green bit at bottom left in the first image seems to be an artefact. I still can't get a 'muddy yellow' in my hubble...

I'm interested in which colours folks prefer, and why.

1055037468_WestVeil2.thumb.png.28acd2f2526bb5332b484073022d33f1.png

310209972_WestVeilhubble.thumb.png.0d173abe1c1baa3158d4f98714ff995b.png

340648426_WestVeil.thumb.png.637b0da90e42f6f6d1defb0661138b91.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 4

Some interesting colour combinations, I'm tending to like the third one. They all do seem a bit saturated though.

Also a hell of a lot of stars in the area, star reduction often works wonders in bringing forward nebulosity in these situations.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Some interesting colour combinations, I'm tending to like the third one. They all do seem a bit saturated though.

Also a hell of a lot of stars in the area, star reduction often works wonders in bringing forward nebulosity in these situations.

Other than stretching, the top one is pretty much as it fell out of stacking. For the others I've done selective colour but nothing else.

I'm not happy with the flats, I'm getting 'ASI1600 flat overcorrection syndrome' - described by many and it seems never solved. If today goes according to plan I will take a new set as I haven't touched the setup.

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

'ASI1600 flat overcorrection syndrome'

I came across something like this, I think it was one of Adam Blocks' videos either on YouTube or his website.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

I came across something like this, I think it was one of Adam Blocks' videos either on YouTube or his website.

There's a lot of threads here and on cloudy nights but no obvious resolution. I'm going to reduce the dynamic range of a flat by half and see what happens.

I've tried a star reduced version and done another round of selective colour (followed by reducing saturation). These are worthy experiments as I want to add the eastern half as a mosaic, then I will have to reprocess the colour of the whole image.

But better do some work for a bit...

West Veil hubble Stars reduced.png

• Like 2

In that most recent version it looks like the broom is on fire... which is kinda cool.

But, I have to say that they all look over stretched and over processed to me if I am being honest, Neil.  It's hard with this nebula as it inherently appears pretty harsh to my eyes.  Each to their own, though, and I don't think my taste is very typical!

They are all great. My own preference would be for the top one in your last post. I think because it is so filamentous (if that's a word!) this target looks better with with the more natural muted colours. I think the greens, turquoise and such work better on denser clouds - eagle, rosette etc.

Just my tuppence since you asked. But I'd be overjoyed to produce ANY of these.

• Thanks 1