Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does the cold effect Imaging ???

Last night i took 2 hours of data of the Cone Neb , now i know it wasnt the best time as its nearly full moon.

In the image below there is a line running down the righthand side , is this caused by the chip getting too cold ?? (it got down to -8 outside last night) . Its not normally present in the images i take.

11673_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Not sure about the dark band down the right Steve but it looks like you could have condensation on the filter. It looks like you have given this image quite a stretch looking at the dust motes so you should have more detail than is showing, even allowing for the moon. Looks painfully familiar :hello2:

The chip will have been down at -28 which is nothing, the chip and camera electrics should be fine at this temp. When icing forms on the chip it is very distinctive, looks like you're imaging twigs - ask any QHY8 owner!

Looking at the image, you have some dark motes which could be on the chip but you have many fainter circles which will produced by the filter.

It was stretched a bit .. :oops: :hello2:

I didnt get a chance to look at the filters / chip last night when i packed up so it could of been condensation , but the scopes had been out for a good 4 hours before i started so they should of been around ambient.

At least i know i can image at -8 :D:)

It was stretched a bit .. :oops: :hello2:

I didnt get a chance to look at the filters / chip last night when i packed up so it could of been condensation , but the scopes had been out for a good 4 hours before i started so they should of been around ambient.

At least i know i can image at -8 :D:)

Without you becoming rigid you mean. :laughing2:

Ron. :(

At one time I used a manual filter wheel which was open along one edge. This would occasionally lead to condensation on the filters. The problem is that anything facing the sky radiates heat to the sky and becomes colder than ambient, then you get the condensation. I solved the problem by draping a duster around the camera and wheel. Never had problems after that (except with the QHY8 which has a unique set of problems)

I had a pop at the Cone from a dark site, with an f4 scope, on a moonless night. Bearing in mind that I'd just come away from seeing Robs gobsmackingly good Cone piccy I was expecting something nice.

Boy is that fellow DIM. I grabbed about an hour of data before the clouds came, and you can hardly make the cone out.

Did you apply any flats to that Steve? They should help, and if you still think it's worth spending more time on, then Pixinsight LE will help to even out the background.

TJ

Archived