Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ6 R Pro Mount won't switch on

Hi Guys,

Very annoyingly my mount has packed in and I am not sure why. The red light won't switch on and I am at a loss as to why that would be the case, it's been working perfectly fine all week.  As anyone had any similar problems with this mount?

I power the Sky watcher Eq6 R pro mount with a leisure battery I had purchased from Halfords. The battery is currently charged and is outputting around 13 volts. I have tried wiggling around where you connect in the power supply to the mount, but there doesn't seem to be any issue there. I know that the cigarette lighter socket connector (the one that comes with the mount) is working because the red LED light is on. I also know that the mount does get some power because I hear that click sound you get after you turn on the mount, however this is as good as it gets because after this there is no response from the mount. The red LED isn't switching on and I can't connect to it from my laptop. I just had a cursory look at the mother board and couldn't see any obvious burn or indication that it is damaged, but I am not an electronics expert by any means so can't say with certainty that it is fine. 

The most annoying thing about this all is that I drove the mount all the way to Spain from the UK to make the most of furlough and darker nights, so any solution that involves ordering a new part warranty etc is out of reach for the next 10 days or so. 

Is there any hope?

That is odd, makes me think there might be something wrong with the power cable. Make sure it's not damaged anywhere and that the fuse inside the battery-side plug is making contact. If it were me I would jiggle the crap out of the cable and see if the power light comes up. 

Do you have a multimeter to check the mount end of the power lead is delivering 13v?

Have you switched polarity on the battery and blown something on the board? If the power lead is working fine, I’d put my money on polarity... 

• Like 1

I'll have to buy a multimeter because I left mine in the UK. 

Re polarity, I dont think its an issue as all my other electronics are working fine like the focuser and camera cooling.

Can heat cause any issues with the mount?

I leave the rig set up outdoors in Spain. It is covered, but I'm wondering if that might have caused an issue. 

Also the day that the mount packed in the weather was very humid. To the point that the cover was damp in some places. Again I wouldn't have through this would be an issue because these mounts are pretty robust from my experience with them.

Edited by 5haan_A
further info provided

10 minutes ago, knobby said:

Can you test the power supply / lead with a 12v bulb ? Be careful though ... Don't short anything.

I'll try think of a way of doing this, perhaps I can pop into town and buy a multimeter from a DIY shop as well. However i do think that the power cable is working because the red LED light near the on cigarette socket end of the wire does switch on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2020 at 23:29, jambouk said:

You need the to confirm power is being delivered to the mount end of the lead. 

I just got back from Spain and checked. There is indeed a steady supply of power coming out from the mount end of the lead. Which has left me scratching my head even more now. 

I have ordered a new Mother board and will now see if I can get it working using that.

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

Seems like a sensible next step.

James

Yep turned out it was. I put in a new mother board and it now switches on im going to check to see that it slews properly later on this evening.

I cant understand how a motherboard in an otherwise newish mount could blow. Im going to pin the blame on these really small ants that used to climb up on my gear in spain. All I can think is that one must have climbed in and become part of the circuitry. Its a stab in the dark for sure! 

Best,