NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My micro-observatory - Complete(ish)

badgerchap

I live in a rented property. My landlord (the National Trust) is pretty forgiving in terms of what I can do here, but they have strict limits. I cannot build anything permanent (planning permission in an AONB) and whatever I build must not be visible from the adjoining NT property. I also had a very tight budget (job got coronavirused) and my sky view is heavily limited. All these factors meant I needed something small, easy to assemble and easy to move if I exhaust my current viewpoint.

For somewhere around £200 then (alright, maybe £300 including bits 'n' bobs) I've ended up with this.

164AE7D2-C0FE-40D3-BC56-6336C99EC5C6_1_105_c.jpeg.c6c6c7d03fb26608610c66dd8cb7ca8e.jpeg

The box is made from structural ply and the base is supported by 40mm galvanised rods driven about 50 cm into the ground. Plywood flanges prevent water ingress where the two parts meet, aided by silicone sealant and a neoprene seal-and-skirt at the hinge end. The roof is corrugated PVC which I will adapt to introduce an angle. I had thought that a flat roof would be OK, but I now disagree with myself and will add a small angle (it will be small as it must remain below the fence line).

ED712F81-6CC1-4824-AECF-B305A3B3BF60_1_105_c.jpeg.20c5097a66dc76997828ee51e8fe3bba.jpeg

There is no base/floor. As I can do nothing permanent, it seemed best to leave it that way as I can at least then move the box elsewhere when I require. The tripod sits on concrete slabs and will be remotely operated and there are no nearby roads, so I think vibrations won't be an issue. 

I've already started planning its successor, which will use an extruded aluminium frame and plastic panels. The weight of the lid on the current design is near the limit of what I can manage, so a more lightweight design would be favourable. However, until then I think I will manage just fine with this. At least my setup time should be reduced! Hopefully the PA either won't need re-doing too often, and/or will only require minor adjustment from session to session.

• Like 13

Love it and I hope it meets all the design expectations!  Given all your constraints it's a really impressive approach over the traditional obsy builds👍 🙂

It does look a heavy load to lift that top half as you mention!

2 hours ago, geeklee said:

It does look a heavy load to lift that top half as you mention!

Thanks Lee! Yes, it's at the limit of what I can manage, but it'll do for now. Will encourage me to keep fit at least!

Edited by badgerchap
  • Like 1

On 22/07/2020 at 22:51, Swoop1 said:

Nice bit of design and construction there. A cool solution to the issues your circumstances raise.

Thanks! They say necessity is the mother of invention...

Edited by badgerchap