Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkySafari 6 Pro currently half price...couple of questions

Jiggy 67

Hi all,

I currently use SkySafari Plus on my iPhone and I have Live Sky on the Mac Air which I access via a browser (Ive never seen this as an application to download, just web based), for which I pay the £2 odd a month subscription. The two can talk to each other and any lists etc I create on Live Sky appear on my phone for use at the scope......all good.

However I have noticed that SkySafari 6 Pro is currently half price in the Mac Store. Now the only downside with SkySafari is that I find all the different versions a bit confusing, especially when you throw Live Sky into the mix so I don't want to fork out £25 and find I've lost all my saved data on SkySafari 6......things like observation logs(which I've lovingly kept up to date) so before i purchase can anyone answer the following:

• Does the app, SkySafari 6 Pro downloaded to Mac include an app for iPhone (SkySafari 6 Pro)?
  • If not, does SkySafari 6 Pro on Mac communicate with SkySafari Plus on iPhone allowing lists etc. created on the Mac to appear on my phone?...Is it just one account across all platforms?
  • I take it I can just log into Live Sky on SkySafari 6 Pro with my existing account and access all my currently saved data, especially previous observation log??....Is that correct?

I hope all that makes sense, and I don't sound too thick...😀

Thanks

Edited by Jiggy 67

1.  No - they are separate versions - the Mac and iOS app need to be purchased separately.

2/3 - If you add your existing LiveSky account information to the Apps, it will sync your data across all of your devices.  Lists, sessions, observations should all sync between all devices you have signed into the LiveSky account.

I  have iOS and Mac "Pro" apps, as well as a subscription to LiveSky - works great.  I just have to remember to connect to the WiFi with the iPad when I get back in from an observing session so it syncs to all devices.

Edited by KingNothing13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KingNothing13 said:

1.  No - they are separate versions - the Mac and iOS app need to be purchased separately.

2/3 - If you add your existing LiveSky account information to the Apps, it will sync your data across all of your devices.  Lists, sessions, observations should all sync between all devices you have signed into the LiveSky account.

I  have iOS and Mac "Pro" apps, as well as a subscription to LiveSky - works great.  I just have to remember to connect to the WiFi with the iPad when I get back in from an observing session so it syncs to all devices.

Thanks for the response.

I actually changed tack slightly and downloaded the SkySafari 6 app on Mac (not the pro version). I can’t explain why I hadn’t done this before, not sure I knew it existed, there’s so many versions. This was only £12 and you’re right, I signed in to LiveSky with my existing account and everything synced to the Mac seamlessly. Have to say I am very impressed with the app on Mac, looks great with loads of features 

• Like 1

I took advantage of this offer yesterday.  This latest version of the Pro version is very nice. I've been using a version 4 dot something for years now. Time I upgraded! :)   

What is Live Sky exactly? 

42 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Thanks for the response.

I actually changed tack slightly and downloaded the SkySafari 6 app on Mac (not the pro version). I can’t explain why I hadn’t done this before, not sure I knew it existed, there’s so many versions. This was only £12 and you’re right, I signed in to LiveSky with my existing account and everything synced to the Mac seamlessly. Have to say I am very impressed with the app on Mac, looks great with loads of features 

Yeah - I like all of the versions, across the platforms.  I am about to purchase a Nexus II and encoders for my Apertua AD10 (GSO) dob so I can connect it up and cut down on my observing time with SSP.  LOL.

19 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I took advantage of this offer yesterday.  This latest version of the Pro version is very nice. I've been using a version 4 dot something for years now. Time I upgraded! :)   

What is Live Sky exactly? 

LiveSky for lack of a better term, functions as a "Data Warehouse" for the SkySafari Data (as well as their other product, Starry Night).  It does have a web based version of Sky Safari, but I never used that.  I use it to sync all of my data (sessions, observing lists, observations, locations, equipment) across the multiple devices (Mac, iPad, and iPhone).  It's a handy little tool, if you go the route I have.  Otherwise - it may not be useful.

11 minutes ago, KingNothing13 said:

It does have a web based version of Sky Safari,

Yeh I find this feature a bit slow and glitchy but the sync feature is really good and it also shows you what other people around the world are observing. You can also use it to download observing lists.....not sure if you can do that through the app, haven’t looked yet

6 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Yeh I find this feature a bit slow and glitchy but the sync feature is really good and it also shows you what other people around the world are observing. You can also use it to download observing lists.....not sure if you can do that through the app, haven’t looked yet

Yes, you can download the premade observing lists through the apps.  It would then sync across all of your devices.  Nifty.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KingNothing13 said:

Yeah - I like all of the versions, across the platforms.  I am about to purchase a Nexus II and encoders for my Apertua AD10 (GSO) dob so I can connect it up and cut down on my observing time with SSP.  LOL.

LiveSky for lack of a better term, functions as a "Data Warehouse" for the SkySafari Data (as well as their other product, Starry Night).  It does have a web based version of Sky Safari, but I never used that.  I use it to sync all of my data (sessions, observing lists, observations, locations, equipment) across the multiple devices (Mac, iPad, and iPhone).  It's a handy little tool, if you go the route I have.  Otherwise - it may not be useful.

OK so it’s a variety of cloud storage of the data you create in the app, yes? A bit like the way iCloud stores and shares data between different Apple devices. 

6 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

OK so it’s a variety of cloud storage of the data you create in the app, yes? A bit like the way iCloud stores and shares data between different Apple devices. 

Yes, everything is stored in the cloud. There is however, a small subscription of about £2 a month 

Edited by Jiggy 67

49 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

@Jiggy 67 Seems a bit steep for what it is. Unless l’m missing something. My storage of 50GB of data, photos backup etc between my iPhone and iPad costs me 69p per month. 

I suppose it is but the cost is for the premium, the basic is free and it depends if you want all it provides 

https://skysafariastronomy.com/livesky-data-management-and-cloud-sync-service.html

32 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I suppose it is but the cost is for the premium, the basic is free and it depends if you want all it provides 

https://skysafariastronomy.com/livesky-data-management-and-cloud-sync-service.html

OK thanks.  I think I won’t be a Live Skyver.  :) 

Edited by Ouroboros