Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is Neowise getting fainter?

Or is it me?  Anyway, skipped to the observatory tonight wondering whether I could see our new best friend from the comfort of my Man Cave

Absolutely no chance. 

I ended up back at the bedroom window with the iPhone and the ProCam app. (clouds weren’t cooperating either). 

I can’t get enough of this Comet. Don’t know about everyone else. Loving everyone’s contributions too 😊

This this only the 3rd naked eye comet I’ve seen (Hale-Bopp best ever followed by the weird Holmes) so long may it remain. 

Thanks for looking.

Jarvo

6FD09BC8-4408-43C7-BD10-C4C49F7E139F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

My impression was that last night it was brighter than a few days ago.

I felt it was more obvious last night, too.

There are a few things at play here, I guess.  The comet will presumably get dimmer as it moves away from the Sun.  However it is also getting higher in the sky, meaning there's less atmosphere between it and the observer, and it's away from the (still quite bright, here) summer northern horizon.  And (IIRC) it's getting closer to Earth.  Perhaps the combination of those factors could mean that although it might be dimming in absolute terms, to the observer on Earth it might appear to be getting brighter/better defined.

James