NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Supernova's in our galaxy.

Just watching Sunday's great episode of The Sky at Night. I remember observing a supernova in M81 or M82 galaxy a few years back. Just amazed that a single star can reveal itself in a whole galaxy.

But have there been any such events in our own Milky Way. I can only imagine that it would cause trouble if it were near by.

The list of known supernova for our galaxy is not very long:

1054 (Crab Nebula,-7(max) mag) 1572 (Tycho, -4 mag), and 1604 (Kepler, -2.2 mag)

Others have been suggested:

185, 396, 437, 827, 1006, 1181, 1203, 1230 ( Hsi Tze-tsung, "Catalogue of Ancient Nova")

Edited by Merlin66
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, John said:

We might be due another though ?

Yes ! Patrick (even before he was a Sir), and the books when I was young, were saying "overdue" but that is the trouble with statistics of the few :)

The average of one big one per century per galaxy like ours can be weazled away by intervening obscuration.

I'll never forget the evening I went  out in August 1975  and saw Cygnus with two Denebs! No internet  those days so no warning  and it was a shock to see.Although this was 'just' a nova with a magnitude of 1.8 it was still impressive.