Options for AZ -GTi mount

I have the SW 250p flexitube dob with Goto, which I barely use. it's size and weight being the main reasons. I find it difficult to move around and set up. I also have the Skymax 127 AZ GTi which I use a lot more, it's a cracking telescope.

I aim to sell the dob, and use the £ to buy something else, either another tube for my AZ GTi mount, or something completely different. I know the weight limit is 5kg for the mount so options are limited.  The nice people at FLO  have suggested the celestron C6 SVCT, I was wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend something? I have never used a refractor before so wondering what scope (if any) would fit the mount. Or if there's a different scope and mount  I could replace my dob with? 

Appreciate any guidance you can give.

Edited by -philip-

1 minute ago, -philip- said:

I got rid of a 200p dob to buy the one I've got now, and wish I hadnt.. 

Now that's Astronomy at it's best and so often the way.
I encourage the basic dob for lightness and ease of use, no power, (great bang for the buck as they say).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Now that's Astronomy at it's best and so often the way.
I encourage the basic dob for lightness and ease of use, no power, (great bang for the buck as they say).

I may well be able to get my old one back as he doesn't use it.

I love my little mak on the wifi I mount, I've never used a refractor so curious about the Startraveler scopes which I think may go on the same mount 

• Like 1

Excuse me for bumping this topic. I have now sold my 250p dob, so have a little cash to spend. After speaking to FLO they have advised that if I upgrade from the standard tripod which came with my 127 AZ-GTi it would cope with the Startravel 120 (the stated weight limit of the AZ-GTi is 5kg, the 120 is 5.1kg. 

I am very curious about what other people have put on their Az-Gti mounts. Also I've never used a refractor before, what can I expect from the Startravel? What can it do which my 127 Mak cannot? 

Thanks !

Edited by -philip-

On 18/07/2020 at 06:35, -philip- said:

Excuse me for bumping this topic. I have now sold my 250p dob, so have a little cash to spend. After speaking to FLO they have advised that if I upgrade from the standard tripod which came with my 127 AZ-GTi it would cope with the Startravel 120 (the stated weight limit of the AZ-GTi is 5kg, the 120 is 5.1kg. 

I am very curious about what other people have put on their Az-Gti mounts. Also I've never used a refractor before, what can I expect from the Startravel? What can it do which my 127 Mak cannot? 

Thanks !

I used a Startravel 120 mounted on an AZ-GTI and ended up replacing the mount under warranty after the mount started to click while tracking, so I would say be cautious. Add a decent diagonal and an eyepiece to the Startravel and it's closer to 6kg. Also when slewing to targets near zenith, the mount struggled with the Startravel.

If you have a Skymax 127 I wouldn't bother with the Startravel, unless you really enjoy low to medium power widefield observing and don't mind some chromatic abberation on brighter objects. Mine had a year's use. At the time it complimented a 200/1200 dob, but when that was replaced with an extra light weight 150/750 newt and I picked up a cheap Skymax 102, the Startravel was made redundant.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 14:35, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I picked up a cheap Skymax 102, the Startravel was made redundant.

What do you use the 102 for? DSO?  Thanks for your reply, decided against the 120. 

5 hours ago, -philip- said:

What do you use the 102 for? DSO?  Thanks for your reply, decided against the 120. 

The Skymax 102mm maksutov, the baby sibling of your 127, is used primarily as a travel scope - I take it camping. The narrow field of view somewhat limits DSO viewing, however despite the modest aperture, it excels as a planetary & lunar scope. With a 45° prism diagonal the 102 is also a nice terrestrial spotter.