Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie look for telescope

Hi

Been searching telescope for a week. Need expertise advise for a newbie here.

Objective: To able to view moon, crater moon and planets as primary deal. Secondary deal will be using for occasional shorebirds watching. Other add on include solar view with solar filter and take photo via handphone.

Actually, i have shortlisted Astromaster 114EQ but after searching and looking at review, this is not 100% recommended. Seeking advise on any model which has the objective mentioned above and budget @ US$600 below.  

Other model i have look at it due to travel light option - Orion StarBlast 62mm Compact Travel Refractor Telescope 

Hope someone can advise me on which is a better model to choose.

Thank you

A small mak would suit your needs. Great on lunar / planetary but also great for nature watching with an erecting prism.. Small and light weight as well and would work on a  photo tripod.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-ota.html

The small refractor you have linked to is better for widefield observing and too small in aperture for good lunar / planetary viewing.. OK for nature watching though.

Edited by johninderby

Here's one example, includes the erect image diagonal that John mentioned:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-pronto.html

Or a good photo tripod.

There are other options if you wanted a go-to mount, that also allows you to be able to use it manually too. (I've been looking at a similar config recently)

Edited by Pixies
  • Thanks 1

Hi @SGLi and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Another +1 for a Maksutov. Below is my 're-modded' Meade ETX105.

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPG

I know... I forgot to extend the tripod legs and remove the end caps. 

small_IMG_0385.JPG..jpg.96b510aeac1ce230208486066271a09d.jpgPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPG

...and a few more of it after I asked/persuaded a local engineering workshop to make this after-market backplate.
It's 'crude & rude' or 'Heath Robinson' with the dovetail bar secured with Jubilee rings... but it works!

For solar observing you will need a full aperture solar filter; either ready made or DIY. You will need to check the filter every time for defects; i.e. scratches, pin-holes, etc., before attaching to the telescope before use. DO NOT buy the screw on solar/sun filters that fit an eyepiece like the type shown below.

738812906_Screenshot(37).png.f89f51468cec5fa9a157afa9643d8e0b.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

You will need a mount and tripod for the scope that John has suggested. An alt-Az would be best, if you are wanting it for birdwatching.

Not all model sell here. I will check it out.

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

If you are after a scope purely for viewing only, then you cannot go far wrong than either a 8" or 10" flex Dob

Easy to use and setup, and no electronics, if you want to use for bird watching as well

Recommend also that you get a right angle finderscope, as saves laying on the ground when viewing objects over head, and suitable also for scanning trees with your bird watching

As the base is made of chipboard material, put down a small waterproof tarp under the base to protect from moisture in the ground

Have enclosed pic of my 10" Dob, taken club field night last year, and in background with shroud, is an 8" Dob

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

I've been impressed with the views from my Celestron Travel Scope 70mm, the tripod it comes with is useless but on a good firm camera tripod or Alt-Az mount it is a fine travel scope, very easy to handle, carry and store, and works well for bird watching too (with a 45 degree erecting prism diagonal).  Depending on where you buy this scope from, it comes with both 45 degree and 90 degree diagonals.

In your budget you could easily afford this scope as your travel / bird watching option and buy a larger scope for closer moon watching.  Don't forget to buy a moon filter as well to cut down the brightness on bright moon phases.

Edited by jonathan