Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portability and Weight - 20x80 and 25x100

Greetings star gazers.

I have some questions regarding the practicalities of owning and using large binoculars.

I currently own a pair of Ultima 8 x  56 binoculars.  A great pair that I get a lot of enjoyment from and frequently take on trips etc.  After being in awe of a truly dark sky I saw whilst traveling in Turkey, I've decided to add a larger pair of mounted binoculars to my collection. 

I'm torn between 20x 80 or 25x 100, possibly from the Helios Stellar range.  Whilst the size and weight of the 25x 100 doesn't seem like too big a jump up from 20x 80, (correct me if I'm wrong!), my concern here would be how to adequately mount the binoculars and have the overall weight and size of the complete set up manageable.

As my name suggests, I live in a large city, so I will have to travel by public transport for at least an hour to get to some decent night skies.  I would like to keep the overall set up under 10kg so it can be carried in a large rucksack after work.  I would also like to take the binoculars on a plane for holidays.  I think this rules out parallelogram mounts, because they are simply too big and heavy with counterweights etc to take as luggage. 

Are there mounts available that will work well with a 25x 100, and still be manageable in size and weight?

Am I just being unrealistic?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 3

Plenty of mounts out there that can handle the big binoculars, the higher end fotomates - like the vt680 -222 would work well with either the 80s or the 100s - have a look on FLO.... (Lots of others of course)

If you are going to be travelling with these I would strongly recommend having a look at a pair of 100mm in the flesh. Photos of them really don't show their true size. The difference from 70mm to 80mm is noticeable of course, but from 80 to 100 really is quite a jump. 

I have found 80mm to be the max that I would use for straight through observing. 100mm and you really want 45 or 90 degree EPs to get the best out of them - yep, the price jumps up quite a bit, but it really is worth it.

Let us know how you get on

Mark

• Like 1

It can be done but as others have said be aware of the sheer size and weight of these things. The Stellar 100mm binoculars are 380mm long and 240mm wide, and they weigh 3.6kg, which isn't so very bad as far as these things go but still it's an awful lot of bulk to be carrying around, not that the 80mm is so very much smaller than that. Observing on a tripod can be an uncomfortable experience as you come up to the zenith, but if you're okay to suffer the neck pains or not go above 60° for any length of time, then I'd recommend spending a lot of money on the tripod because it makes things a whole lot easier. I got a Manfrotto 475b tripod and 502ah fluid head, which back in the day set me back about £350, but it was completely worth it because it's very tall and completely solid. I'm 5' 9" and can stand underneath it at the zenith without bending my knees, and there's still plenty of height to spare in the legs. I've mounted a 5kg binocular on it and once you tighten the horizontal and vertical locks on the tripod it doesn't move at all. Now this is an important point because I had a go with a friend's reasonably solid but much cheaper tripod, and it was such a pain as you're constantly wrestling with the controls to keep everything where you want it. The tripod and head weigh about 6kgs, you can get travel versions made from carbon, but they are more expensive. Also get a tripod that is rated to carry weights much heavier than what you want, because most of those are rated on the assumption that this weight will be flat and on the level, not pointing vertically with the weight offset at an awkward angle.

• Like 1

As others have said it can be done, but IMHO using very large straight through (i.e. NOT 45/90 deg angled eyepieces) binoculars on anything other than a parallelogram mount will be challenging, but not impossible (see reference to Binocular Sky reviews below).

Be under no illusions how heavy those binoculars will be. That said I think that it may just about be possible to transport both the binoculars and even a P-Mount on public transport, provided you purchase a heavy duty carry bag. Below are some photos to give you an idea.

The first 2 are comparisons of my Hellios 22x85s and Revelation Astro 15x70s. N.B. the Helios 22x85s are smaller, but slightly heavier than the 25x100s, but not a lot different - both are massive in comparison to the 15x70s.

IMG_8941.thumb.JPG.d73c6ca592d4b9e3f9184e7e3f07dc4c.JPGIMG_8942.thumb.JPG.acdec7698790127d609797c1f187720f.JPG

The below image is of the 22x85s, mounted on the Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount.

IMG_8629.thumb.JPG.e668bc92c37aef1004bf4f84a75f3060.JPG

The Calumet bag was purchased from Wex Photo (I think it is their own brand), which is large enough to take all the P-Mount components, i.e. tripod, P-Mount, CWs, etc. It is a VERY heavy to carry, so I wouldn't want to have to walk long distances with it, but maybe just about doable with bino case in one hand and P-Mount bag in the other. Maybe some wheels could be attached, but it's not something I have tried.

IMG_8943.thumb.JPG.c8de3ce5d1e3c6e5a6c19ce591fb37df.JPG

If you also need to transport a chair for comfortable viewing, then it's really going to become even more challenging on public transport, though something like a folding director's chair in it's carry bag, slung over your shoulders, might be possible.

Please be aware that this is also not a cheap solution. The binoculars, P-Mount, carry bag and viewing chair set me back the best part of £1,000, but the upside is that viewing with them seated on a folding sun lounger chair that I purchased specifically for viewing with the P-Mount, is a superb experience, right through the zenith.

Before you purchase a pair of large binoculars I strongly recommend that you try to get your hands on a pair just so that you can see how heavy they are. I also recommend reading reviews about binoculars and mounts by Steve Tonkin at Binocular Sky http://www.binocularsky.com/

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses.

After considering all your advice and also looking at Youtube videos to get an idea of just how big the 25x 100 are, I've decided to stick with a 20x 80.  In order to sooth my disappointment when I realized how impractical my initial ambition was, I've decided to pay up and go for the best 20x 80 I can afford.  My view is that this is a lifetime purchase, and one that I will ultimately get more use out of than something larger.

I have just now ordered the following from First Light Optics:

Helios LightQuest HR 80

Horizon8115HD Tripod

iOptron Ball Head a3305

The total weight of this set up is roughly 6.5kg, which I think is manageable in terms of portability.  I will be able to take this to a local park and set up quickly if a decent opportunity arises.  Alternatively I can take this on public transport for a more serious observing session.

As an aside, I have booked a trip to Croatia for some R&R.  I plan on taking this set up with me, (fingers crossed for dark skies) so I will shortly be able to report back on how this setup travels by air.

The tripod is too large to fit in a typical holiday suitcase, and it looks like this is the case for the smaller, cheaper tripods too.  I am flying with Lufthansa, and they allow sports baggage to be carried for free which I think is a great offering.  Unfortunately, they have specific categories of sports equipment that are covered and photography/astronomy equipment isn't included.  I'm going to reserve a slot for sports equipment and put the tripod in an old fishing rod bag (fishing is covered) and hope they don't notice.  If that doesn't work it's €80 each way excess baggage so it will be an expense mistake!

I shall report back and let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again!

• Like 4

I shouldn't think you'll be disappointed with your choice. I've never used the LightQuest but I gather they're a step up from the already impressive Apollo's, and with its superior optics and true aperture (i.e. they actually measure 80mm and not 73mm) I suspect there won't be much difference in performance between it and the Stellar 25x100. The "other" tripod I referred to was the Horizon 8115, but I see you've ordered a more sturdy head - there's nothing wrong with the legs, it's just the head that comes with it that lets it down.

Looks like a sensible decision. I got a pair of 45degree 70mm APM binoscope last year, my decision being made by a desire to carry them about birding in the daytime. 4kg is not too heavy and the tripod is practical and does a reasonable job at night too, I can reach almost the zenith. I would suggest sitting on the ground to observe, you save a lot of (potentially wobbly) height.

I have the 8115, the head casting broke, I added a manfrotto head to it and it’s still doing good service.

Good quality optics give a much more enjoyable view!

Peter

• Like 1