Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser 127L / SkyTee II Setup Questions

Hi all!

After my initial posts when looking into what setup to get i think ive made my mind up on the Bresser 127L mounted on the SkyTee II mount which would be on a 1.75 Stainless Steel tripod.

I've seen a few setups on here using this combo but had some general questions about these items in particular and was wondering if anyone could help.

1) How likely would the 127L need collimating? (as i understand this model comes with the ability to do so) One of my main decisions in getting a refractor was that i didnt have to worry about this process, its nice that it has the ability to do so but i cant help but feel like I would now have to do it because the option is there to do so. In all honesty, collimating scares me as im a newbie to this hobby and was one of the reasons i was staying away from reflectors (along with my main interests being lunar/planetary based and star hopping)

2) Would i need to counter balance the SkyTee II mount? As i understand it, its best to mount heavier scopes on the side saddle and NOT the "top" saddle? Are there any counterweight brands that would fit the SkyTee II? SkyWatcher etc? which brings me in to another question..

3) Would it be best to also buy the upgraded ADM Vixen style Saddle "SkyTee-II & AYO" variant clamp? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html and as i only plan on using the one scope i assume i only need one?

Thanks as always for any help and input, you guys have been fantastic when i last came here looking for initial setup advice (with posts ive found about the above equipment helping me to decide on getting it myself)

• Like 1

Counterweights. While you can get away without using the weights it does makes the mount smoother to use with the weights.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-counterweight.html

And yes replacing the stock saddle is a must. The ADM ones are fine though there are othes that will fit. The RVO saddle is also good and cheaper than the ADM.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-mini-vixen-style-clamp.html

The 127L should not need collimating unless it has been badly knocked about in shipping but that is pretty rare.

I enjoyed using the Skytee although now have upgraded to a Rowan AZ100.

4032ACF0-395D-49AA-9F83-06F18020A1E9.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I had a couple of the 127L's (one was branded Meade and the other Bresser but they were identical). The collimation needed adjusting when the Meade arrived but the Bresser was in a better state. I did tweak it a bit but I quite enjoy doing that and the objective cell makes it straightforward. If the focuser is out of true it's harder but that was not an issue with the units that I had.

I would use a counterweight with the Skytee II and the 127L. Any type with the 20mm central hole will fit. Not the full weight of the scope, just a few KG to keep the azimuth axis motion smooth.

Definitely replace the DT clamp on the side that you are going to put the scope on. I use the ADM clamps. The top saddle is suitable for short lightweight scopes only IMHO.

You may want to think about a taller tripod at some point unless you are going to be sitting when observing.

This scope is about the same size and length as the 127L, maybe a touch heavier (9.5kg):

tmb130bbst02.JPG

• Like 1

Equally @John I'd love to fit a feather touch on mine. Did they make/supply the adapter?. I know it would be as much, if not more than the scope. But hey I do love me 127l

(Sorry not wishing to hijack the thread.. just curios)

Rob

Edited by Rob

With regards to the counter weight. When I had my William Optics EZtouch (AYO) I needed a counter weight for sure. I get the feeling the Skytee II is a little more beefy! mind you

AR127L.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Equally @John I'd love to fit a feather touch on mine. Did they make/supply the adapter?. I know it would be as much, if not more than the scope. But hey I do love me 127l

(Sorry not wishing to hijack the thread.. just curios)

Rob

The scope is a TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 LW triplet. The FT focuser is standard on that model. I now know why FT focusers have the reputation that they do :grin:

• Like 1

@John Study more and understand what you viewing Rob!.. of course it is, very nice John!

@InterstellarTim as mentioned the saddle upgrade is a must i Understand for the Skytee. Because the Eztouch had the built in vixen dovetail I didn't have worries about carrying the weight of my 127L. The down side was it used a standard bolt to clamp the dovetail bar whereas a nice ADM saddle clamp would not mark he dovetail bar and hold scope happily.

Next take lots of time balancing the OTA, again a must. I feel its an enjoyable setup, easy to use and great observing to be had. I only changed to an HEQ5 as I love my RA tracking.

Rob