SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Glass solar filter.

Robindonne

Hello.  A question about a solarfilter. I’m planning to give a scope to my daughter with a solar filter.  It’s a foil filter and im wondering if its replaceable with glass, or just buy a new one with glass.   The housing is very nice and polished like a thousand oaks one for example.  Im afraid the filter is the least used item ao to end up with two while the current one might be enough when its changed to a glass one.  

Edited by Robindonne

The glass filter isn’t as good as the solar film which is very safe and a lot tougher than it looksi. BTW it’s not foil but a tough film. Glass fiters can also shatter if hit by say a ball or something like that or rough handling. The film will take a hit and bounce back. 

As with any solar filter you should inspect it for before use for any damage.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The glass filter isn’t as good as the solar film which is very safe and a lot tougher than it looksi. BTW it’s not foil but a tough film. Glass fiters can also shatter if hit by say a ball or something like that or rough handling. The film will take a hit and bounce back. 

As with any solar filter you should inspect it for before use for any damage.

Oh really didnt know that.   If its safer i’ll give here the current version with the film in it.   Very much thx.  

18 minutes ago, Solar B said:

The film will also most likely have less of an impact upon your scope optics 

however if purchasing for visual use you will require the ND 5.0 option.

Brian 

Ah ok.  Sounds logical.  But whats the nd 5.0?  A type of film?  i received it as an assembled/complete filter, i mean the previous owner let it make in a german shop.  It doesnt mention the film-type unfortunately.   While discussing this, I remember having a baader continuüm filter. Im not sure what is does exactly. (Someone gave it to me) Filter the filtered view of the sun? If so then i’ll advice her to use them both.  

The solar film comes in two types. ND 3.8 which lets more light through and is intended for photographic use only and ND5.0 is the standard visual type. ND5.0 is by far the most common and the type of film should be shown somewhere on the solar filter cell.

• Thanks 1

I'm referring to the Baader film options of ND 3.8 for photographic use and 5.0 for 

visual .... when using any filter always proceed with caution obviously but you will 

be able to get some idea anyway as you near the EP , the Solar Cont filters can help 

with displaying a bit more detail and are very useful for focusing but they must always 

be used in conjunction with an objective filter or Herschel wedge.

Brian 

• Thanks 1

Johninderby and solar b, thank you very much for this Saturday night live educational talk.  I assume it has the 5.0, ot at least a similar version that was used back at the beginning of the 21st century. If both are safe to have a look through now and then, i’ll let her have it.  
I showed her recently a picture of a molten barlow from internet and noticed that since that day her newtonian is aimed at the floor, covered by a blanket. So it will be all fine after I show her these advices.  Thx again.  Have a nice weekend ️