Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have an avx mount with an 8 edge HD.    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good complete tutorial.  I just got this scope. I dont know how to do the intial set up to get it looking.  Really appreciate the help.  

Didn't it come with a printed user manual?  If this was not sufficient, where have you looked online?

Basically, you have to polar align it (a mechanical operation), turn it on and enter various parameters (site, time etc), then do a star align (an electronic operation).

Why did you buy an AVX rather than an easier to use alt-az mount?

The AVX is pretty simple to use if you have good polar alignment. The difficulty is with polar alignment. Make sure the time and date are correct in the handset.

There is a polar scope upgrade for the AVX, which together with a phone app such as Polar Alignment you can get it pretty close.  2 star alignment should be adequate for decent goto.

I think there are a few tutorials on youtube as it's a pretty common mount.

4 hours ago, Moodtastic said:

The AVX is pretty simple to use if you have good polar alignment. The difficulty is with polar alignment. Make sure the time and date are correct in the handset.

There is a polar scope upgrade for the AVX, which together with a phone app such as Polar Alignment you can get it pretty close.  2 star alignment should be adequate for decent goto.

I think there are a few tutorials on youtube as it's a pretty common mount.

I wouldn't recommend the polar scope for the AVX. I bought one, tried to use it once and bought an iOptron iPolar instead. The polar scope is easy enough to fit and align, but it is not illuminated and it is really awkward to try and see through. The altitude knob gets in the way and if you are tall you have to contort yourself to get into a position to see through it. I've left it in the mount to remind myself of the folly of ignoring reviews on FLO:  AVX Polarscope

14 hours ago, Shaun Sr said:

I have an avx mount with an 8 edge HD.    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good complete tutorial.  I just got this scope. I dont know how to do the intial set up to get it looking.  Really appreciate the help.  

There is a link to a youtube video on setting up the AVX here:  Stargazers primers and tutorials

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

I wouldn't recommend the polar scope for the AVX. I bought one, tried to use it once and bought an iOptron iPolar instead. The polar scope is easy enough to fit and align, but it is not illuminated and it is really awkward to try and see through. The altitude knob gets in the way and if you are tall you have to contort yourself to get into a position to see through it. I've left it in the mount to remind myself of the folly of ignoring reviews on FLO:  AVX Polarscope

There is a link to a youtube video on setting up the AVX here:  Stargazers primers and tutorials

I have an ipolar and AVX also, as well as the polar scope. The scope is a bit awkward but it can get fairly good alignment.

Out of curiosity do you find the AVX ipolar adaptor a bit loose?

19 minutes ago, Moodtastic said:

Out of curiosity do you find the AVX ipolar adaptor a bit loose?

No problems with it - I think it only had two grub screws instead of three to hold it in place, but it hasn't budged at all (I have packed away for the summer, so it's not so easy to check the mount). The actual camera fits into the adaptor and had a single screw to hold it in place, but the camera was a tight fit into the adaptor anyway.

Are you planning on using it for just visual or mostly visual? If so, polar aligning is not really needed.  With my AVX if I setup roughly aligned to Polaris' location and run through the two star alignment, it is almost always good enough to have the gotos fairly well centered for the evening. If I want even better accuracy, I'll add a couple of calibration stars.

The polar alignment routine in SharpCap is really easy to use or you could use the Celestron All Star Polar Alignment if you do need to Polar Align.

Hi, i recently purchaed the same mount and like yourself struggled a bit until i came across this. This is part 3 and a different tube but still the AVX mount. There is also part 1 & 2 if you need it from the very beginning but this relates to the really good bits :)  Hope that helps.