Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Toying with astro photography....maybe

Jimmy Rocket

Hi all, looking at second hand DSLR camera bodies with live view for astro photography, question is you can get them for less than £100 with a live video view, is it a better option to go DSLR or a dedicated astro photography camera from FLO etc etc.

Cheers

Jim

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Hi all, looking at second hand DSLR camera bodies with live view for astro photography, question is you can get them for less than £100 with a live video view, is it a better option to go DSLR or a dedicated astro photography camera from FLO etc etc.

Cheers

Jim

what scope are you planning on using or photo lens? modded or unmodded  Dslr?

Edited by fozzybear

Scope is a 127 mak with goto computerized mount not sure what the modded/unmodded DSLR bit is about? Thought it was an adaptor ring to connect the body to the scope, sorry for not being up to speed on the subject, all I know is it's a video image moved to registax 6 to get the best frames etc, seen a canon 1100D on eBay going cheap so thought that would be ideal???

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Scope is a 127 mak with goto computerized mount not sure what the modded/unmodded DSLR bit is about? Thought it was an adaptor ring to connect the body to the scope, sorry for not being up to speed on the subject, all I know is it's a video image moved to registax 6 to get the best frames etc, seen a canon 1100D on eBay going cheap so thought that would be ideal???

The 1100D and 450D have very similar specifications and possibly the same sensor although the 450D will have more features.. I had a 1100D for a while and it was fine for basic AP but a bit limited.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

From your description it looks like you want to do planetary imaging. As with all astrophotography (Though I'm a DSO bloke) a dedicated astro camera will beat a DSLR or mirrorless hands down.

56 minutes ago, DaveS said:

From your description it looks like you want to do planetary imaging. As with all astrophotography (Though I'm a DSO bloke) a dedicated astro camera will beat a DSLR or mirrorless hands down.

Thanks, that was my dilemma tbh, so without breaking the bank can you recommend a good astro cam which will give good results on my Skywatcher Mak 127? 

Cheers, 

Jim

TBH I'm not best placed to recommend a planetary camera, being DSO only. All I can suggest (And it's not much) is have a look on the FLO site at the sort of cameras you can afford (ZWO are favourite ATM) and plug the figures into CCD Suitability.

• Thanks 1