NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece choice for 16 inch dobsonian

Yes I am really keen and my next trip out with my astronomer pals is in 2 or 3 weeks.In the meantime I have it out the doors of my conservatory as much as clear sky's allow.

I will be able to use some of their eyepieces which will give me a good indication of my scopes potential.

I can possibly stretch to 3 new Delos eyepieces,thinking of starting with 6,10 and maybe 14 or 17.3mm .I have a ts 30mm wide angle with the scope for now.

It's always nice to have and look after from new,but second hand would allow perhaps one more.

I will keep looking at the ads over the next few weeks.

cheers

3 minutes ago, paul acreman said:

Yes I am really keen and my next trip out with my astronomer pals is in 2 or 3 weeks.In the meantime I have it out the doors of my conservatory as much as clear sky's allow.

I will be able to use some of their eyepieces which will give me a good indication of my scopes potential.

I can possibly stretch to 3 new Delos eyepieces,thinking of starting with 6,10 and maybe 14 or 17.3mm .I have a ts 30mm wide angle with the scope for now.

It's always nice to have and look after from new,but second hand would allow perhaps one more.

I will keep looking at the ads over the next few weeks.

cheers

think I would get a 12 and 8. You can always barlow the 12 to a 6 in the meantime.

Can I be another +1 on the Baader zoom suggestion? At worst you could go for the one @bomberbaz has suggested, use it whilst you build up a 2nd hand collection and then sell it on at no loss. More likely you would find the convenience makes it the weapon of choice for general mid range viewing and star hopping, only swapping out for widefield (for which it isn't great) or higher mag when you have something that really justifies it. For many targets it's a superb choice and so easy to get just the right level of magnification.

2 hours ago, paul acreman said:

It's always nice to have and look after from new,but second hand would allow perhaps one more

I guess so if you have cash to burn, but I've never picked up a 2nd hand EP that wasn't within a whisker of being like a brand-new one (all mine have come via SGL) and I have a set of Morpheus for around half the cost of buying new - it's well worth considering.

I am listening to you guys.Yes I would definitely prefer second hand.I have emailed ads on astrobands, finding it hard to get replies when I make an offer.Perhaps everyone is firm on their price as these are not coming up very often?

zoom has sold