Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deciding between eyepieces again + suggestions please :)

Hi all,

I have posted a few things regarding which eyepieces to use with my 'Bresser messier 10" dobsonian". I had decided to go with the 7mm OVL Nirvana UWA-82 Ultrawide eyepiece. However upon checking at stores, they are all currently out of stock until around 2 weeks from now.. I have some people coming next Thursday to use the telescope (if the weather goes well) and would have liked to try and view some planets with that eyepiece. However the shop assistant has suggested that the '8mm Baader Hyperion' is a good alternative, however it is a jump in price approx £35 more than the OVL Nirvana. 

It's not a huge problem, as I still have the 25mm, but I am an amateur and feel with the 25mm, to view DSO's, I need to have a lot of practice.. But is the '8mm baader hyperion' worth the jump in price, or should I just wait for the OVL to come back into stock? If I should wait, are there any suggestions as to what I can do with SPL 25mm eyepiece that comes with my telescope? Any suggestions as to what I should try and view or practice looking at..? There will be a new moon in a few days.. Any suggestions are welcome :) :) 

Thanks for reading! XD 

I'm a fan of Explore Scientific's 82 degree wide field eyepieces, superb crisp views but with a price to match. 

For planetary viewing, depending on seeing conditions in your area, I'd suggest something around 10 or 12mm should give you a decent disc to look at; sometimes lower magnification reveals more detail because the image is brighter, and is more forgiving in less than perfect seeing.  12mm is perhaps more useful than 7mm too, you might see small galaxies and nebula that would be too dim or fuzzy with higher magnification.  Try something from the Celestron X-Cel range as Ricochet suggested if they are within your budget.

I think the planets are up in the very early hours at the moment, rising some time after midnight or so, slowly moving towards evening skies over the next few months.  With the skies very light (longest daylight hours right now) it will be tricky to view anything other than bright stars, you could look for the summer triangle stars, double stars, clusters, and interesting asterisms (latter just needs naked eye and binoculars).

Edited by jonathan