NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Classic Orthos BCO

markse68

I’d never think of doing this with more expensive or complicated eps but these were pretty cheap- all bought second hand and I thought it’d be worthwhile seeing how they go together and if they could be “improved” 😬

Theyre all of similar construction with a screw in retaining ring holding the glass into a solid top housing from the bottom. They all have removable 1.25” nose pieces that make access easier and they were all finger tight. As expected the glass is the same idea in all 3 just scaling up with focal length- the 18 quite a chunk of glass

Interestingly the eye lens of the 18 was edge blackened but neither the 6 or 10 were. I blackened them. All the cemented triplets had lightly blackened edges- I left them alone.

I dusted over the insides of the 1.25” barrels with matt black spray paint which maybe the most worthwhile “improvement” - don’t suppose it’ll make any difference for the 6 though as it has a longish snout extending the retaining ring with its own micro baffling that looked quite matt inside anyway.

If we ever get clear skies again it’ll be fun to see if it’s made any difference- I have a duplicate of the 10 so can compare. 

3AFAD627-01F3-48D4-86DB-FE3C4B0B77DC.jpeg

16676721-CD03-43BC-89F3-B490DDB95776.jpeg

D420F7E4-20FE-4DAD-8817-662698FF293D.jpeg

BB64A0A2-21BE-4B9C-BE13-3D90770064DC.jpeg

6C516B91-22CF-42DA-8284-714BF1AEB3BA.jpeg

D11DFF0C-E960-4A0E-BDFC-D34678CC33D5.jpeg

18981B92-7620-44D1-864E-FB46CB9DD380.jpeg

A3045D3B-3B8B-4A68-BDC2-579633AEA091.jpeg

D10DDF86-29B0-4171-934F-A3BFB30B0441.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 7

Interesting stuff.

The Baader Classic Orthos that I've tested and owned have been pretty good eyepieces. I didn't notice any issues with light scatter or transmission so it will be interesting to see if the improvements you have made result in noticeable improvements in performance.

The only issue I had with the 6mm was a slightly fuzzy field stop. Not a big issue and it doesn't affect peformance but I found it a little annoying.

The BCO 10mm is regarded as one of THE best deep sky eyepieces by folks who use huge scopes under dark skies in the USA so Baader certainly knew what they were about :smiley:

• Like 1

Yes a bit arrogant of me to presume I can improve on them- they’re almost certainly not as clean inside now 🤦‍♂️

But I figured they’re made to such a low cost and it’s a bit fiddly painting the edges of the eye lenses of the smaller ones so maybe that’s why they didn’t 🤷‍♂️ The stop on this 6mm isn’t very sharp either despite seemingly a different design to the one you reviewed John?

No harm in having a look to see if things can be improved a bit further :smiley:

These are the 3 that I was sent to review:

Baader Classic Ortho 6mm(18mm & 10mm Sold) - Sold / Expired ...

Have they changed the design of the 6mm then ?

46 minutes ago, John said:

No harm in having a look to see if things can be improved a bit further :smiley:

These are the 3 that I was sent to review:

Baader Classic Ortho 6mm(18mm & 10mm Sold) - Sold / Expired ...

Have they changed the design of the 6mm then ?

I could be wrong but the image of the underside of the 6mm in your early review showed a flush retaining ring like my 10 but my 6 is a longish thin tube? 

4BE562C8-8F27-4D9B-B4A2-EE5A4C4F1C4F.jpeg

520DAFD1-AAE1-4CE9-8F08-B525E5631811.jpeg

FA06986F-DFEF-432D-B3FC-F046A377ACA5.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

Oh, that is very different then.

It's been a long time since I've had the 6mm so I could not remember what it looked like from beneath !

I wonder why the design was changed ?

I'll guess and say that the longish tube acts like a light baffle to keep stray light away from the optics.

6 minutes ago, John said:

Oh, that is very different then.

It's been a long time since I've had the 6mm so I could not remember what it looked like from beneath !

I wonder why the design was changed ?

I'll guess and say that the longish tube acts like a light baffle to keep stray light away from the optics.

That’s my thinking- plus looking at that pic from your old post the bore of the barrel was smooth too whereas now it’s grooved to form light traps. Now mine is matter too 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markse68 said:

I dusted over the insides of the 1.25” barrels with matt black spray paint

I did this too.

I think that it might make a difference depending on the scope design ie fast newt with stray light issues itself but in my Astrosystems which has a focuser baffle (the filter slide, matte black) no difference is seen. I did my diagonal barrels as well and on the mirror diag a difference was noted but not the prism.

If a newt is not flocked or painted, the edges not blackened etc painting the EP barrels will most likely show a difference, however its not the first place I'd start.

The Astrosystems dobs have superb stray light control, my VX10 needed some help in this regard. The 10BCO is the deepest eyepiece I own.

• Like 3

Nice thread & good timing for. I have a Meade MA9 (series 2 - Japan made from 1985) due to arrive any day. I looking to fully service it as you have done here.

Nice one... Rob

• Like 1

I certainly would not entertain dismantling modern ep's, but like like you. When its Orthos, Modified kellners etc .. all standard stuff and worth while 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markse68 said:

I’d never think of doing this with more expensive or complicated eps but ...

Now why don't I believe this for a single moment?

Get the two of us into a room together with any sort of astro stuff and tools, and woe betide any astro stuff lying around ;) . Just remains for @John to send either of us his 13mm Ethos for some improvements...

Seriously though, very interesting!

M

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Now why don't I believe this for a single moment?

Get the two of us into a room together with any sort of astro stuff and tools, and woe betide any astro stuff lying around ;) . Just remains for @John to send either of us his 13mm Ethos for some improvements...

Seriously though, very interesting!

M

There is definitely an element of truth in what you say Magnus 😉 But I am a bit reluctant with optics as the moment you break that seal the dirt is in there and it’s practically impossible to get rid of it all without working in a vacuum which wouldn’t be much fun. 

X-ray's help to see whats going on inside without intrusive surgery. Some of the lens surfaces inside the more complex wide fields have serious curves on them !:

X-ray pictures uncover a virtually identical lens setup.

• Like 1

Interesting - I recently purchased both the 6mm and 10mm Baader Classic Ortho in the hope of picking up fainter galaxies using my 12" Dob. I had a look today and noticed that the nose pieces did have a shine to them. I have not really tried these EPs since they were purchased - I will keep your suggestions on hold although I might undertake some improvements in the future.

• Like 1