NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary Stacking under Linux

BargeGazer

I am moving my astro imaging and control over to a Linux Mint notebook. I have most that I need with the various Indi, Ekos, Kstars, Firecapture programs working and can find a number of DSS stacking tools but none that look to be maintained for Planetary Stacking (similar to Registax under windows for example).

What does anyone use that will allow me to do a quick stacking out in the field just to check whether I can expect to get a decent result when I get back to a more powerful processor at home?

Thank you in advance.

David

I normally use Autostakkert, still a windows software, but it works perfectly with Wine.

Registax is far too old nowadays, anyway.

I then postprocess the image using deconvolution on Pixinsight.

There's also stackistry (written by the same person as ImPPG).  I had some trouble with it last time I was trying to stack lunar images, but I don't think I really worked at it enough to understand what was going on.  I've not tried it with planetary images however.  It's been a while since I did any serious planetary imaging, though now the new release of oacapture is sorted I do intend to get back into it later this year.

James

On 12/06/2020 at 09:44, JamesF said:

Let me know what problems you're having with oacapture and I'll try to get them resolved.

James

James, I was having problems under Mint but, for a couple of other reasons, have changed to Ubuntu and it is loaded with no problems. (while I have grown up with computers from the punched card onwards I am a total newbie to Linux in more than just a simple desktop)

Thanks

1 hour ago, BargeGazer said:

James, I was having problems under Mint but, for a couple of other reasons, have changed to Ubuntu and it is loaded with no problems. (while I have grown up with computers from the punched card onwards I am a total newbie to Linux in more than just a simple desktop)

Surprised it was a problem on Mint as that's my main development environment, but if it's working for you now then I guess that's the important thing.

James

23 hours ago, JamesF said:

Surprised it was a problem on Mint as that's my main development environment, but if it's working for you now then I guess that's the important thing.

James

Thanks James. If I revert to Mint I'll give it a try again and let you know if I have a problems.