NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Growing BST StarGuider EP Collection...

17 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

If you look on FLO website they quote https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces/bst-starguider-60-8mm-ed-eyepiece.html  "in about product"

"Please note BST StarGuider ED eyepieces are occasionally branded 'Astro Essentials'. "

hope this helps

fozzybear thanks, I hadn't noticed. They are the same then yeah.

9 minutes ago, KeithP22 said:

fozzybear thanks, I hadn't noticed. They are the same then yeah.

As far as I am aware yes the same just a different name on them, If a problem contact FLO as for me OCD like all to be the same brand. :)

• Like 1

These eyepieces have been branded many different ways since I first saw the as Astro Tech Paradigm's 11 years ago:

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/cn-reports/eyepiece-reports/first-look-astro-tech-paradigm-eyepieces-r1845

Barsta, who make them, had their own brand name, originally the BST Explorer's and then changed to Starguider's when, I believe, they were told that another manufacturer had claimed the Explorer name was theirs.

It maybe that Astro Essentials is a branding that FLO have specified ?

If you order enough you can have the branding you like printed on them.

At least Barsta didn't use the branding "Barsta RD's" :wink:

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

As far as I am aware yes the same just a different name on them, If a problem contact FLO as for me OCD like all to be the same brand. :)

fozzybear thanks for the information 

23 minutes ago, John said:

These eyepieces have been branded many different ways since I first saw the as Astro Tech Paradigm's 11 years ago:

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/cn-reports/eyepiece-reports/first-look-astro-tech-paradigm-eyepieces-r1845

Barsta, who make them, had their own brand name, originally the BST Explorer's and then changed to Starguider's when, I believe, they were told that another manufacturer had claimed the Explorer name was theirs.

It maybe that Astro Essentials is a branding that FLO have specified ?

If you order enough you can have the branding you like printed on them.

At least Barsta didn't use the branding "Barsta RD's" :wink:

thanks for the information John 

1 hour ago, KeithP22 said:

Merlin I ordered a bst starguider barlow lens  an 8mm ep and an 18mm ep. They were also branded as astro essentials. Are they the same as i'm a bit concerned. 

Yes they are! 👍They come out of the same factory with the same optics as the BST's, but just with a different label one them. They are branded under half a dozen different names, but all of the same good quality! 👍😊

21 hours ago, merlin100 said:

Yes they are! 👍They come out of the same factory with the same optics as the BST's, but just with a different label one them. They are branded under half a dozen different names, but all of the same good quality! 👍😊

Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2020 at 15:04, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I have just ordered my 2nd Morpheus, the 6.5mm. Not had a huge amount of time with the 14mm yet but it is a stunning eye piece with a very good wide field.

I am looking to have a mixture of the BST range and Morpheus,  along with my 30mm 2" Aero ed.

Hi @Barry-W-Fenner,

I saw you aim for a mix of BSTs and Morpheus EPs. What is your experience with the both so far? Especially, how do they compare?

I am in a similar position of choosing which one to get first. In principle I need to span the range from 12 - 18 mm, but getting two or three Morpheus at once is too much for my budget.

So I thought to myself to get the BST 12, 15 and 18 mm first and then maybe upgrade later the one most used to a Morpheus.

I have an f/15 Mak and observe mainly planets.

Clear skies,

Alex

4 hours ago, alex_stars said:

Hi @Barry-W-Fenner,

I saw you aim for a mix of BSTs and Morpheus EPs. What is your experience with the both so far? Especially, how do they compare?

I am in a similar position of choosing which one to get first. In principle I need to span the range from 12 - 18 mm, but getting two or three Morpheus at once is too much for my budget.

So I thought to myself to get the BST 12, 15 and 18 mm first and then maybe upgrade later the one most used to a Morpheus.

I have an f/15 Mak and observe mainly planets.

Clear skies,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I currently have two of the Morpheus range, The 6.5 & 14mm which I have used in both my dobs.  I am finding them a joy to use, very comfortable eye cups, great eye relief and nice wide 76 degree view. They are giving me a nice dark contrasty views.

To be fair, for the money you cant go wrong with the BST range, They are fantastic eye pieces. The Morpheus does provide a slightly clearer image but its main advantage is definitely the 76 degree fov. I am totally immersed when viewing with them and the 60 degrees which the BST'S give now seem very small in comparison.  I am going to purchase the 9mm Morpheus when funds permit and that will be my work horse. In time I might also add the 12mm

Thank you

Barry

• Like 1

The eye relief for eyeglass wearers is also better on the Morpheus than the Starguiders.  Contrast is better in the Morpheus as well.  I have the 9mm and 14mm Morpheus and the 5mm to 25mm Paradigms/Starguiders.  The Morpheus fit in well with the TV Delos and Pentax XWs while the Starguiders fit in well with the Meade HD-60s (of which I have the complete set).  Of the latter two, I prefer the HD-60s due to much better eye relief.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

The eye relief for eyeglass wearers is also better on the Morpheus than the Starguiders.  Contrast is better in the Morpheus as well.  I have the 9mm and 14mm Morpheus and the 5mm to 25mm Paradigms/Starguiders.  The Morpheus fit in well with the TV Delos and Pentax XWs while the Starguiders fit in well with the Meade HD-60s (of which I have the complete set).  Of the latter two, I prefer the HD-60s due to much better eye relief.

Hi Louis

How often do you use the 9mm Morpheus? I will be using it mainly in my 12" dob which will give a nice x167 - I can see it becoming my main eye piece going forward. 

Baz

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Louis

How often do you use the 9mm Morpheus? I will be using it mainly in my 12" dob which will give a nice x167 - I can see it becoming my main eye piece going forward. 

Baz

Fairly often for mid-high power.  I compare it to my 10mm Delos sometimes to see which is giving the better view.  They're very close.  You won't be disappointed with the 9mm Morpheus.