SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Growing BST StarGuider EP Collection...

So, I've just ordered another BST StarGuider eyepiece from Auntie FLO for my collection, this time the 15mm model.  I was wanting a different focal length, but the one I wanted sadly wasn't in stock.  No worries, I'll get that one another time.😉

5 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

So, I've just ordered another BST StarGuider eyepiece from Auntie FLO for my collection, this time the 15mm model.  I was wanting a different focal length, but the one I wanted sadly wasn't in stock.  No worries, I'll get that one another time.😉

Hi Merlin,

I am a big fan of the BST 15mm in the 200p - I find it gives a nice clear image and a very handy x80 magnification. I seem to be in the minority as most people prefer the 18mm, find myself coming back to the 15 over and over!

I hope you enjoy the eye piece.

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Merlin,

I am a big fan of the BST 15mm in the 200p - I find it gives a nice clear image and a very handy x80 magnification. I seem to be in the minority as most people prefer the 18mm, find myself coming back to the 15 over and over!

I'm hoping to acquire the full range in due course. I was wanting to get the 5mm before the 15mm, but I had to go with what they had in stock. 

Did you ever try the 25mm version? I wonder how it compared to the supplied SW 25mm eyepiece? It's the least favourite of the BST range, it seems, due to various quality reasons. 

I do have the 25mm version, I use it quite a lot to view almost the entire area of M45 & The double cluster. It is also useful for using to locate your targets before changing to higher power. I did notice an improvement over the stock 25mm, The image is definitely sharper, However I have noted that the 25mm isnt clear all the way to the edge of the field, I would say around 70% with the outer edge slightly degraded. I dont know if that is the eye piece and 200p combination doing this or just the eye piece.

Cheers

Baz

On 09/06/2020 at 10:35, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I do have the 25mm version, I use it quite a lot to view almost the entire area of M45 & The double cluster. It is also useful for using to locate your targets before changing to higher power. I did notice an improvement over the stock 25mm, The image is definitely sharper, However I have noted that the 25mm isnt clear all the way to the edge of the field, I would say around 70% with the outer edge slightly degraded. I dont know if that is the eye piece and 200p combination doing this or just the eye piece.

Cheers

Baz

It's how the eyepiece handles the light cone from the primary.  This eyepiece works fantastic in an f/15 Maksutov.

• Like 1

Hiya, newbie so sorry if the questions have already been asked beforehand.

I've been looking at trying out some eyepieces and wondered how the BST performs in a f4.7 dob? (Scope is a dob 250px) I currently have ES 8.8 82° and 20mm, 26mm 62° from ES with a focal extender x2, i have heard some good comments about the BST and was looking at getting a high power EP (5mm) - who better to ask than those using it? 😆

They really don't seem all that different than the ES 62° series, except the price is double for ES 😆

Thank you

1 hour ago, SteadyMercury said:

I've been looking at trying out some eyepieces and wondered how the BST performs in a f4.7 dob? (Scope is a dob 250px) I currently have ES 8.8 82° and 20mm, 26mm 62° from ES with a focal extender x2, i have heard some good comments about the BST and was looking at getting a high power EP (5mm) - who better to ask than those using it? 😆

They really don't seem all that different than the ES 62° series, except the price is double for ES 😆

Thank you

I haven't used them below f/6, but I would guess that the 12mm and shorter eyepieces would do find thanks to their fairly strong negative elements extending the focal length seen by the positive section above them.  Certainly the 5mm and 8mm would do fine, with the 12mm starting to look like the 15mm and 18mm do at f/6.

The 15mm to 25mm ones are already showing edge softness at f/6, so I would expect them to show even more edge softness in an f/4.7 Dob.  Wide, low power, sharp fields at f4.7 and faster don't come cheap.

3 hours ago, merlin100 said:

I've just ordered an 18mm one from Skies the limit, as Auntie FLO seems to be out of the ones I want. 

Top bloke and great service, I bought all mine from him, highly recommended!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Top bloke and great service, I bought all mine from him, highly recommended!

That's where I originally got my RDF from.  It's nice to spread the business around. 😉

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered the 12mm version from Skies the Limit, so hopefully it should be here by the weekend.  I just wish the weather would improve at night!

On 20/06/2020 at 03:06, SteadyMercury said:

Thank you

Seing you other EPs I think you should have a look at the SW/OVL Nivana 7mm. It works great in my 250/1200

On 09/06/2020 at 16:50, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Merlin,

I also love the 15mm BST. It's the first EP I bought (with a 5mm) and it still sits in my EP case... although now it has to compete with a Nagler 11mm

The 5mm BST seems to be out of stock at the two UK sellers, at the moment.  I'm quite happy to wait till there back in stock.

On 28/06/2020 at 07:28, merlin100 said:

This arrived care of the postie around 8.45am, this morning!

Off topic, but is postie a common nickname for a postman in the UK?  I've never heard the term used anywhere in the US.

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Off topic, but is postie a common nickname for a postman in the UK?  I've never heard the term used anywhere in the US.

Yes. Do you have a nickname for the mailman? 

1 hour ago, merlin100 said:

Yes. Do you have a nickname for the mailman? 

Mailman is probably it since postman is the formal as in the movie title The Postman Always Rings Twice.  In your original sentence, we would have probably just said "Look what showed up in the mail today!" or "Look what showed up on my doorstep today" since we rarely see our postmen because our mailboxes are all centralized at the back of the subdivision, and because many packages arrive via UPS, FedEx, or Amazon delivery directly at our doors nowadays bypassing USPS.

We still have letterboxes in our doors, but if it's too big for the letterbox, the postie or courier will knock the door. 

In these days of Covid-19, I wear disposable gloves to get the mail from the box on the street, then put the mail in my garage for 2 days before opening it.

If I had a mail slot to drop the mail through, I'd seal it to keep the mail from coming inside until it hadn't been touched for a couple days at least.