Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Camera and Barlow for a C11XLT.

Hi there, I sold my Neximage 5 a while back and am in the market for a planetary camera to use with my C11 XLT. As far as my limited knowledge and ability to research goes I think the Altair GPCAM3 385c Colour might be the best bang for buck due to the high framerate. I was also recommended the following 2x Barlow (Altair Lightwave 2x Flat Field Tele Extender Barlow) as an ideal Barlow to accompany the 385c.

The two should cost in the region of £400. Without getting into crazy money can anyone recommend a better option than this or does this look about right for the 11" C11 XLT and planets? 

Aside from an ADC are there any other filters or accessories I should purchase to maximise on the poor seeing and low altitude of the planets at 53 degrees North?

Edited by WicklowSkies76

Don't know too about the camera you have suggested, but it sounds a bit similar to the Asi2224mc. 

Just to offer a different opinion than the set up you have mentioned, i would suggest the Asi224mc £220, X2 Televue Barlow £122. Both from FLO.

I would also say an ADC is essential, along with a UV/IR cut filter. The main gas giants are still so low that it is not going to be easy to image them, the ADC will certainly help with the OSC. 

You also get to use the brilliant Firecapture software it, i can not recommend it enough!

• Like 1

I'd echo Pete's comments and consider the cheaper 224c for planetary. The 385c I believe is a similar sensor just larger, but you don't need that extra sensor size for planetary. I use an Altair gpcam3 224c alongside a gpcam3 290m and am very happy with both (Note: the altair 224c comes with an integrated uv/ir cut window but this can be swapped for a clear one if needed for IR imaging).

At your latitude, with a OSC camera and a larger aperture scope like the C11, an ADC will be absolutely essential.  I'd also suggest that you have a good think about how to thermally manage the C11 before/during imaging as this will be crucial to image quality, much more so than the choice of camera and barlow.

Craig