Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Software question

I'm thinking of getting planetarium software and I'm not sure what I should I get. My needs are simple and specific. Basically I want a digital star-atlas that will plot stars and DSOs to fainter magnitude than my (paper) Uranometria. I don't want to drive a scope (I use a dob) or plot planetary positions, or create pretty pictures, or get info on objects (unless it's the NGC description). I just want the ability to create finder charts showing stars to mag 10+ and galaxies to mag 14+.

Maybe what I want is already on the web, in which case I'd be grateful for a link.

I don't use CduC much but if it is like my planetarium prog (SkyMap), you can download catalogues and include them. If CduC supports this, it may require some reformatting of the catalogue data but the Help should tell you.

Mike

Just had a look at the Help. There is a tool called CatGen that lets you convert downloaded catalogues from a couple of web sites (listed in the Help). Presumably if you use a cataloge that goes to mag 14 and beyond, the contents will be displayed in CduC.

Mike

Archived