Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dismantle diagonal etc. when not in use?

Looking for some advice in case I'm getting this wrong...

I recently moved from a small mini dob to a Skymax 127 Mak.  When storing my mini dob I just set the angle downwards (so any debris would fall away from the mirror) and put on all the caps.  As I'm now using the Mak on the same dob mount (Skywatcher Virtuoso) I'm unsure if I should be taking the diagonal out when the scope isn't in use or if it's fine to leave it attached and just have the cap on at the eyepiece end of the diagonal?  I've also just added in a ZWO Helical focuser between the scope and diagonal - so same question for that - is it fine to leave it in?

Thanks

David

6 minutes ago, John said:

I leave the diagonals in my refractors when they are not in use. I'm sure that it's OK with other designs as well.

I take my diagonals out and put them in the foam case. We all have are own little habits to storing our astro gear. If its kept safe and in great condition then no wrong answer I suppose 🔭 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

I take my diagonals out and put them in the foam case. We all have are own little habits to storing our astro gear. If its kept safe and in great condition then no wrong answer I suppose 🔭 

My scopes are stored indoors. I used to share diagonals between them so I did take them off the scope at the end of a session then. Now they all have their own diagonals.

As you say, no wrong answer.

When I put a scope out to cool though I do tend to point it downwards and remove the diagonal to allow warm air inside the tube to escape a little easier. Don't know if this really makes much difference though :dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  I'm reassured by them.  Was just a little concerned they could have ended seizing up but had been working on the basis that the less frequently they are taken on and off is probably better.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Id be interested how the Skymax 127 Mak is working out on the virtuoso mount, I just got the 90mm  a few months ago and am already looking to upgrade it, I love the mount for my backyard viewing though, especially with the wifi go to now.. I imagine it cant go to near 90 deg. Vert before bottoming out ?

Edited by samone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, samone said:

Id be interested how the Skymax 127 Mak is working out on the virtuoso mount, I just got the 90mm  a few months ago and am already looking to upgrade it, I love the mount for my backyard viewing though, especially with the wifi go to now.. I imagine it cant go to near 90 deg. Vert before bottoming out ?

I sometimes use my Skymax 127 Mak OTA on my Virtuoso mount. Yes, if the OTA is clamped at its balance point, the end of the diagonal will hit the azimuth clutch knob, if viewing high altitude targets. I move the OTA slightly forwards, but limit maximum slew rate to "4", to reduce possible strain on the motor-gearbox assemblies. The virtuoso mount will also take the OTA from my Heritage 130P; again, with the slight forward shift in the dovetail clamp.

I, too, leave my diagonals in place, when storing my OTAs.

• Like 1

Hi samone, I’ve been very happy using the 127 on the Virtuoso mount.  I’m just outside Glasgow so light pollution is pretty bad so my observing is largely the bright planets and the moon - which is why the mak was an attractive option. With my targets being low in the sky (for the foreseeable!) the issue of it hitting the base hasn’t been a problem  If I was using the WiFi I think there is an option in there to limit the altitude to prevent any accidental bumps. I’ve just had a check and my diagonal makes contact with the base at 60 degrees - although I have a helical fine focuser in place between the OTA and diagonal so without that it would go higher before it was a problem.

Hope that’s of some help.

On 16/11/2020 at 08:06, Geoff Lister said:

I imagine it cant go to near 90 deg. Vert before bottoming out ?

I managed 70 degrees altitude with the 127's diagonal hitting the base, but by moving the OTA 25mm forwards I was able to get the full 90 degrees, with the rear of the diagonal just clear of the base. Doing a similar test with my Heritage 130P OTA, I managed 50 degrees at the balance point, and needed to move the OTA 50mm forwards to avoid the collimation locking screws touching the base.

Geoff