NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tiny spot

PeterW

After a friend commented I went out with the 80mm, wedge and continuum filter to see if I could spot the spot in the new active region near the limb. Took a while for my eyes to become accustomed to the vivid Apple green view, but then there is was, A small spot with a lovely semicircular bright line around it. I could also see fine detail on the disk too, but less clear than the active region, can’t wait till we get some proper activity.

peter

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

It's been visible for a couple of days, two or more small and I mean small spots within a nice snaking faulae.
Started off looking like Harry Potters scar, now evolved to an S shape.

I alerted some in my club, who have struggled to see anything in 80mm scopes, I am using a 100mm.
The Continuum Filter and Single Polariser are the ticket to a view in my world.

Alan

• Like 1

The polariser to tune the brightness? Looked like a single spot this morning, though could have been 2 tiny very close together... I was chuffed seeing it.(was running at 78x, wouldn’t want to raise it much with the 80mm. I did try knocking the ND down a notch, too bright... hence I guess the polariser is handy to optimise the contrast?

The faculae curve was clear, there was a fainter hint if S  tail.  

PEter

• Like 2

Just had a quick look before having to head in for bathing duties. There are now two spots of similar size, one further on to the disk and the other nearer the limb. Can’t recall which was the original one. Seeing wasn’t great but hints of perhaps one other tiny one but not sure.

EDIT second one just showing on here now so you have the position. Looked A little bigger just now.

E53B93AE-1A2E-491A-8DF0-68F8258056D0.png

• Like 1

Just to out *Trump you @Stu, after sitting I counted 4 or perhaps 5 in total, very small.
Just been out to check again and the seeing has gone off for me here.
Always tomorrow of course.

*as in Top Trumps, not Donald.

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Just to out *Trump you @Stu, after sitting I counted 4 or perhaps 5 in total, very small.
Just been out to check again and the seeing has gone off for me here.
Always tomorrow of course.

*as in Top Trumps, not Donald.

Dash it, beaten again 🤣🤣

Nice one Alan, will have another go tomorrow 👍👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Now don't you come back at me with a six count now 😉

Don’t forget I’m using a Tak, I actually saw eight but didn’t want to show off 🤣🤣

Joking, obviously. Just the two and a hint of a tiny one for me 😁

• Haha 1

.... all close together or separated?? Only saw one little blob in @Stus image. FLO now has an order for a polariser 😉

maybe I need to have a look first thing when the seeing is more stable? Given I’m using a smaller non-Tak I have low expectations... Seeing the faculae was great. Have to see how things change as it rotates round.

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

.... all close together or separated?? Only saw one little blob in @Stus image. FLO now has an order for a polariser 😉

maybe I need to have a look first thing when the seeing is more stable? Given I’m using a smaller non-Tak I have low expectations... Seeing the faculae was great. Have to see how things change as it rotates round.

Peter

I’ve circled where the two larger spots were Peter.

D5B6DFA3-84AE-4F12-A4F8-ACD62A9729CF.jpeg