Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evostar 100 Ed frac

Advice/opinions appreciated. I currently have a 150/750 f5 reflector & a MAK127. I am currently thinking of possibly getting a refractor scope. I like to try & take in as much of the skies as possible, but do like the planets & moon especially. The little Mak does a good job, but have been thinking about getting a bigger SCT or more recently the possibility of a frac. I have been looking at 4” scopes & the one I have kind of settled on is the evostar 100 Ed f9. It will be used for visual only, single eyepiece & binoviewers. I would like it to complement the scopes I currently have, rather than pushing them aside. The question is am I going to gain anything different with the 100 Ed compared to the scopes I currently own? Thanks Andy 

If your main purpose is to use the 100Ed for Luna and planetary(also great for splitting double stars). Then I would say go for it . A quality Ed is hard to beat for visual on these type of targets. In my opinion you get more of a sharper and cleaner image through a refractor compared to the reflector on these type of targets. And the SW 100ed has been proven to be a great refractor for very sensible money.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

The ED100 is a very good 100mm refractor.

I'm not sure it will offer anything that your 127mm mak does though. Perhaps a faster cool down time ?

If you did not own the mak the ED100 would make a nice complement to your 150mm F/5 newtonian though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Andy,

Buying your first refractor is going to hurt you long time, simply because you are going to buy more of them in the future.

You currently have 5 inch Mak (I used to have it), 6 inch newt and want another scope. I guess you have the mount to go with those scopes, hopefully at least in the EQ5 class. 

I do not know how good your seeing is, whether it supports bigger aperture, but here are my two cents:

If you go for SCT, go for 8 inches, perfect size unless you are into bying a hefty mount.

If you go for a frac, 100mm ED is a great instrument, but will not give you wide fields to compliment your mak. It's a fantastic scope, though. 

Whatever you get you can get rid of 6 inch newt, it would be redundant and, IMHO, has the worst optics and mechanics out of all the scopes mentioned. It does have one inch over Mak but plenty of coma at low powers and is less sharp at high powers.

The problem is that 100 ED is too close to the Mak, but then again, Mak is better if you need to pack it for travel on some ultralight mount. Visually they would perform pretty close.

Edited by BGazing
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John said:

Hi,

The ED100 is a very good 100mm refractor.

I'm not sure it will offer anything that your 127mm mak does though. Perhaps a faster cool down time ?

If you did not own the mak the ED100 would make a nice complement to your 150mm F/5 newtonian though.

12 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Hi Andy,

Buying your first refractor is going to hurt you long time, simply because you are going to buy more of them in the future.

You currently have 5 inch Mak (I used to have it), 6 inch newt and want another scope. I guess you have the mount to go with those scopes, hopefully at least in the EQ5 class. 

I do not know how good your seeing is, whether it supports bigger aperture, but here are my two cents:

If you go for SCT, go for 8 inches, perfect size unless you are into bying a hefty mount.

If you go for a frac, 100mm ED is a great instrument, but will not give you wide fields to compliment your mak. It's a fantastic scope, though. 

Whatever you get you can get rid of 6 inch newt, it would be redundant and, IMHO, has the worst optics and mechanics out of all the scopes mentioned. It does have one inch over Mak but plenty of coma at low powers and is less sharp at high powers.

The problem is that 100 ED is too close to the Mak, but then again, Mak is better if you need to pack it for travel on some ultralight mount. Visually they would perform pretty close.

Thanks for your thoughts. You have both mentioned what I was starting to think that the 100ed wouldn’t give anything much more than the MAK127. Don’t want to duplicate with the 2 scopes & not looking for it to replace the Mak at present. I normally use the 150p on moonless nights for DSO & happy with that. The Mak is used a lot now with binoviewers as I took to them easily & with my 50 year old eyes the floaters don’t affect as much in bv’s. Your time & comments are very much appreciated & I will sit on this for a while. 

• Like 1