NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hyperstar/rasa - how to cover with camera attached

If you have the camera hanging off the front, how on this wee planet do you cover it to keep dust and bugs off.

You'll not want to keep taking the camera off as you can be introducing slight changes to tilt each time, and so on

I always remove camera/Hyperstar as I need to carry my fully assembled scope back indoors and I fear perhaps cracking it on patio doors and smashing my corrector plate. However, despite its frequent removal,  I have never had problems with Hyperstar  collimation ever since I fully screwed down the components.

There is an article on Cloudy Nights about Hyperstar collimation. But if you reach its conclusion the final tilt required by the author is less than the width of a human hair. That's why I decided to just lock down Hyperstar with no tilt (which is often advised by Starizona) as there was no way that my skill or my mount could justify that precision. The critical adjustment is actually the position of the Fastar secondary mirror holder and the corrector plate which is factory set. Provided you have never meddled with those components they will remain screwed tight. Hence collimation of Hyperstar is less necessary.

If you do need to cover it, I would suggest a large cloth pump bag of the type kids keep their trainers in. 

Been rummaging and AstroZAP make a rigid dew shield, and caps to fit.

Only UK source so far I found is Rother Valley's site.

they are not cheap either

Edited by iapa