NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HELP! Altair Gp-CAM 290C Black Screen in Altair Capture or SharpCap software

Help ! Novice Imager needing guidance :)

Firstly my equipment :-

Celestron C8-N Relector Telescope + Polemaster and Starsense, Advanced VX GOTO EQ Mount, Altair GP-CAM 290C, HP 250 G7 laptop ( Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6GHz, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD).

The Issue

Polar aligned using Pole-Master, followed by StarSense setup.  Everything bang on, and looking through eyepiece super sharp and clear stars.

Swapped eyepiece out (1.25 inch 25mm) and replaced with Altair GP-CAM 290C, and plugged into Usb Port on laptop.  Fired up Altair Capture software and connected camera in software.

Expecting to see similar view on laptop screen, or at least something, but got nothing but a black screen.  Frame rate was high (97 fps) so USB throughput no issue.

Read through the article on Altair's website, but still no joy.
https://altaircameras.com/black_preview_screen/

It is is very frustrating.

No matter how I tried I could not get any semblance of an image - any ideas what I am doing wrong ?  (Yes, the lens cap was off - he he).

Any assistance or tips much appreciated.

Thank you.

V :)

I know its obvious but have activated the camera in the altair program your camera should appear in the top right of the program, the other thing is have you altered the gain slider to make it brighter ?

JohninDerby :-  Thank you for your reply.  Yes have tried all frames rates.  When first starting Altair Capture and activating the camera, it settles at about 97 fps.  I have altered it  right down to 15 fps and then gone up in very small steps - still nothing.

Bruno:  Thank you for your reply.  Yes, tried all sorts of settings on the gain - still just a black screen unfortunately.

Have  tested the sensor - it picks up light and dark - all seems well with the camera (should be it's brand new!).  Maybe it's a driver issue although the camera is showing up detected fine in Windows 10, and in Sharpcap and Altair Capture.  

I would have thought that when activated I would at least get blurry blobs on the laptop screen - but no, nothing but blackness  - very frustrating.

Hi CraigT82,

Yes, I think I must be out of focus - maybe I need to add a T-Adapter or length of tube to the scopes eyepiece and add the camera then - could be my Celestron 8 inch reflector just doesn't have enough back focus.

I will try it.

Many thanks!

The spec says it has two modes :

Video Mode, for AVI sequences of planets, which you stack to make a still image, but that mode can expose up to 5 seconds for shots of starfields etc.

Trigger Mode, for 5 sec to 16 minute  exposures of galaxies etc.

Check focus during the day on a distant object using Video Mode and a fast exposure.

With Newtonians you often can't get the focuser in far enough to focus a camera.

But if you can focus, that setting you should be close enough to see star images, that you can fine-focus, try Video at 5 secs to start with.

Michael