Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heritage 130p with celestron Nexyz Phone adapter

Hi

I am looking atvthe skywatcher heritage 130p telescope as my next scope and I already have a Celestron Nexyz smart phone adapter but I concerned as the heritage has a focus shaft that turns rather than the focus wheels adjusting the focus, how would the Nexyz adapter work with it. Bit complicated if you see what I mean. So when focusing with the heritage the whole phone adapter unit would spin around (would this causing focusing issues with the weight of the phone adapter unit pulling down on the turning mechanism) and with my celestron cometron 76mm when focusing it just moves up and down. 

Edited by LeeHore7

17 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi

I am looking atvthe skywatcher heritage 130p telescope as my next scope and I already have a Celestron Nexyz smart phone adapter but I concerned as the heritage has a focus shaft that turns rather than the focus wheels adjusting the focus, how would the Nexyz adapter work with it. Bit complicated if you see what I mean. So when focusing with the heritage the whole phone adapter unit would spin around (would this causing focusing issues with the weight of the phone adapter unit pulling down on the turning mechanism) and with my celestron cometron 76mm when focusing it just moves up and down. 

Yes, I think you would struggle with that combination. The Heritage 130p is a fine scope, good value for money and excellent optics for the price, but it is built to a price and the focuser is one area where they clearly saved money. I think you would have a frustrating time with both focus and balance of the scope, so I would look to other options if using a smartphone with it is important to you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, I think you would struggle with that combination. The Heritage 130p is a fine scope, good value for money and excellent optics for the price, but it is built to a price and the focuser is one area where they clearly saved money. I think you would have a frustrating time with both focus and balance of the scope, so I would look to other options if using a smartphone with it is important to you.

Hi

Yes that focuser tube operation would be an issue as you said its a real shame as it is a great scope and many have recommended it. The celestron Nexyz adapter is the best I've used with my smart phone and wouldn't use anything else. I'll look to other scopes, I have looked atvthe celestron astromaster 130eq.

ahh yes it has a helical focuser not rack type so the phone will cause it to turn and defocus. Not sure the weight might not also make the telescopic section sag a little too.

What sort of budget are you thinking of, and what plans in terms of what to see and photography? That'll help guide re the choice of EQ or ALT-AZ for example.