NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonraker telescopes mutton dressed as lamb or the real deal!?

Supernova74

Hi guys I apologise in advance regarding my topic of discussion this evening or the next as my intentions are not to annoy my fellow amateur Astronomers on the Astro lounge and understanding will be mixed opinions also.and if anyone who actually owns one feel free to join the conversation.Anyway on the outside I think moonraker telescopes can be a little bit like marmite either you love them or you hate them however perhaps the word hate maybe a little bit to harsh.ive gathered thease scopes seem to be mainly aimed at the higher end of the spectrum towards the more wealthy clientele as I hear some of rich and famous actually own them.is this scope designed for real Astronomy or just to sit in a rather exspensive penthouse looking pretty in the corner!?and from a design perspective perhaps just a tad over the top maybe a good scope for a well known rapper as the way I look at it Astronomy is mainly in the dark and you will not be looking at all those non functional knobs bars etc and try to have a shave in the process as the telescope tube is so bright and reflective.thay almost have that punk look about them if you know where I’m comming from and cannot help feeling that thay look more like a modern version of the classic broadhurst Clarkson and fuller refractor brass telescopes. On the different note tho how do the optics pan out compared to similar brands are thay good are thay bad I’m not sure 🤔 thay could brilliant scopes optically and mechanically but just have doubts thay are concentrating more on the looks then an actual high class optical refractor!? 

Mark uses quality optics some great APO ones like Lzos etc also carton and like for the achromatic ones or he will use yours  and they are definitely for real not for just looking at but also through they are in what you would call steampunk guise they are fairly expensive but are hand built and a lot of time an effort go into one 

• Like 1

I think Mark does has found a great niche.

The aesthetics won't appeal to everyone of course but they are very competent instruments as well as having unique looks.

Lowell Observatory have recently installed a rather nice example of Marks work at their public observation deck. This one has a 200mm objective:

Telescopes of the Giovale Open Deck Observatory | Lowell Observatory

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Supernova74 said:

Lol maybe I’m missing a trick after working for some of the best metal polishers finishers in the country 

Show us some better ones and I'm sure they will get :thumbright: as well :smiley:

I know a metal spinner that has done 18ct gold telescope tubes for Arab princes, classic naval scopes rather than astro I believe. Wouldn't even like to guess the price of them now that gold prices are high again.

I got pulled in on an emergency job for one. Basically sub contracted to make parts of a replica yacht in silver. Six or more separate workshops attempting to make a scale model form photographs on a short deadline.