Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar observing with Meade 12” ACF

Hi guys I remember those days when I used to have a small 60mm refractor with those L shaped type bracket that fitted on focuser draw tube with a piece of paper however I’m entering a topic I know absolutely nothing about am i right thinking that I can only really observe sunspots with specific filters and would it be worth while as obviously my scope is not designed for anything serious and obviously safety is a must also

The seeing would play a big part with that aperture , of course you could simply 

stop it down , my advice would be to spend some time and make your own filter 

with the Baader ND 5.0 film ... given the right conditions views of the  granulation 

should be well within your grasp plus of course spots with their unmbral and penumbral 

detail to if theyre not too small.

Brian 

Just a reminder that any solar filter; i.e. solar safety film, glass, etc., needs to be thoroughly checked for any defects before each and every use.
If you do suspect any signs of pin-holes, tears, etc., DO NOT use it, or attempt to repair it.

So apart from the film maybe a proper glass sun filter would be a better bet obviously safety is more important than price and common sense.can I use conventional eyepieces or do thease need to be changed to filtered ones also 

19 hours ago, Supernova74 said:

So apart from the film maybe a proper glass sun filter would be a better bet obviously safety is more important than price and common sense.can I use conventional eyepieces or do thease need to be changed to filtered ones also 

Glass solar filters do have their downsides. Mine is just over twenty years old and has a few 'pin-pricks' and I do not use it now. Maybe its age is catching up with it. According to Thousand Oaks, (where mine is from), glass filters are not immune from defects. Therefore, solar glass filters also need to be checked  before each and every use.

Whichever solar filter you decide to purchase, avoid these...

738812906_Screenshot(37).png.f89f51468cec5fa9a157afa9643d8e0b.png  

Yes look very similar to those old school filters screw on end of 1.25” eyepiece for solar projection no would not buy any Astro gear or solar infact on flea bay I will go through Well known dealer typical on different note out observing tonight as use high capacity batteries on my scope must remember to turn off after Thay are flat 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Supernova74 said:

Yes look very similar to those old school filters screw on end of 1.25” eyepiece for solar projection no would not buy any Astro gear or solar infact on flea bay I will go through Well known dealer typical on different note out observing tonight as use high capacity batteries on my scope must remember to turn off after Thay are flat

That it is exactly what it is!

ebay should be ashamed of themselves selling these dangerous items. Myself [and others] have written to ebay to complain to get them withdrawn from sale, but they do not. Not sure whether the site that shares its name with a South American river/rain forest sells, or other online warehouses, sell them though!

25 minutes ago, Supernova74 said:

They are awful and dangerous devices.

With an SCT, a filter, or a filter mounted in a mask, that securely covers the whole of the aperture of the scope is the only way to do it.

With a refractor you can use a herschel wedge which works extremely well and is also extremely safe but they are only for refractors.

Well you do listen to different opinions and certain advice can be confusing at times and I think 🤔 old fashioned common sense doesn’t go a miss regarding what’s the best to use I’ve looked at the baader film and on a personal note surly it would be more prone to damage especially when you consider the area the film has to cover for an 12” scope more margin there for error and personally don,t think will feel comfortable useing it anyway .don,t get me wrong I’m a very hands on kind of guy however you play with matches get your hands burn,t or in this case the suns rays burning out your eye sockets lol had arc eye once not a pleasant experience and don,t fancy my mother cutting up my Sunday roast as cannot see lol 😂.ive seen some specific sun filters at rother valley optics that look like glass just retro fit over the correcter plate with small thumb screws or even flo may have some thing similar?