Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice & Comments please.

2 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

My suggestion would be much like Miguel's earlier:  A Skywatcher 200 PDS & HEQ5 Pro:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200pds-heq5-pro.html

I got this exact combination in 2018 myself, with imaging as first priority, but also wanting to do visual observations.

With some compromises, it should tick all your boxes:

- Enough aperture for DSO observations

- Great views of Moon & planets - I've had some stunning views of the Moon, and seen Jupiter's GRS for the first time last year, even with the unfavorably low position of the planet.  Saturn has been amazing too.

- It can be used for AP

For DSO AP, you really need an EQ mount, which will pose some challenges for visual, especially with a Newtonian - unintuitive movement pattern, and the eyepiece can wind up in ackward positions.  The latter can be alleviated to some extent, by rotating the OTA within the tube rings.   With the mount having GOTO, there should be limited need to manually slewing it round, so minimizing the movement pattern issue.

For AP, many here will say the 200 PDS is too big for the mount. To some extent, they're right - it's quite a sail, so I can't image with it unless the wind is quiet (so if your mountain top location is windy, it may not be the best solution)

I've attached a couple of my own early images, to give you an idea of what a beginner should at the very least be able to achieve.  All are unguided, taken with an unmodded Nikon D7000, and consists of stacked 30-secs exposures.  Once you have the mount, you can always add more, smaller scopes for imaging, if you find the 200 too big - I have supplied with the relatively inexpensive 130 PDS for larger fields of view, and for use in conditions too windy for the 200.  M27 & M81 are cropped, while M42 & M31 are the full field of a 'crop-sensor' on a 200 PDS.

Remember also to budget with extra eyepieces, power supply for the mount, adaptors for the camera & a coma corrector for AP (I use Skywatcher's 0.9 CC myself)

Damn fine images!  My first ones didnt look anything like that lol.

Hi Erling G P

OMG - Those are superb, god if I could get close to that I would be happy. Amazing.

I have a Nikon D3500, new version

It is windy where I am but only when the weather is bad, not all the time.

Would you go with yours over a https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-250pds-neq6-pro-goto-telescope.html

Thank you for your comments

1 hour ago, Scorpion Rob said:

Hi Erling G P

OMG - Those are superb, god if I could get close to that I would be happy. Amazing.

I have a Nikon D3500, new version

It is windy where I am but only when the weather is bad, not all the time.

Would you go with yours over a https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-250pds-neq6-pro-goto-telescope.html

Thank you for your comments

Thanks for the kind words regarding the pics :)

I would go with my setup over the 250PDS & NEQ6, but that's because I have to limit the weight of the single components I have to carry in and out.  I have a history of several hernia operations behind me, and can't say I fancy any more of them!   The weight of the mount head of the NEQ6 is getting into the realm of what I'm not comfortable with repeatedly lugging around.  I have seen a 250PDS in the flesh, and it's BIG.  Whether it's borderline too big for imaging even on a NEQ6, I can't say.  200PDS & NEQ6 is possibly a sweeter spot.  If you have no reservations about weight or size - or could do a permanent setup, then maybe the bigger mount & scope may be a better solution, at least for visual.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scorpion Rob said:

Thanks again guys,

Just got this sent to me from a friend. Do you think thins might be overkill?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-300pds-neq6-pro-goto-telescope.html

Totally a bad choice imho.

For comparison, and I think this is one of my favourite images of my gear, this is my 250px and my 300pds. Yes there really is that much difference between the two scopes.

I had my best ever visual experience through this 300pds, of m57, but as an imaging scope on an eq6, not for the faint of heart.

B13FE1FC-6930-4F28-90F8-49B0F1D6BCEA.jpeg

I've seen so many of the eq6 12 newtonians for sale over the years and I reckon the reason is often the same - they went for as large as possible on the basis that they didn't want to feel the need to upgrade anytime soon and quickly found the scopes too much to handle.

IMHO a 12 inch on an equatorial needs to be based in an observatory as a permanent setup.

31 minutes ago, John said:

I've seen so many of the eq6 12 newtonians for sale over the years and I reckon the reason is often the same - they went for as large as possible on the basis that they didn't want to feel the need to upgrade anytime soon and quickly found the scopes too much to handle.

IMHO a 12 inch on an equatorial needs to be based in an observatory as a permanent setup.

I agree with this. And actually I think a 10 inch EQ is borderline. I have owned 5, 6, 8 and 10 inch EQ mounted nets and chose to settle down with the 8 inch despite the reduced light gathering. 

I have never tried a 12 inch but the 10 once set up was such a beast, and if there was even 10mph of wind it was a nightmare, eyepiece positions are challenging at times and I just would not have used it half as much as I use the 8 inch.

Edited by miguel87