NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting for Celestron Illuminated RACI Finder Scope

Hi,

Does anyone here have a Celestron Illuminated RACI Finder Scope? I'm looking for a RACI finder for my Bresser 8" Dob (illuminated if possible), but can't see what type of fitting this has, and work out whether I can find a way to fit it to the Bresser.

Cheers

31-Unu4KpuL._AC_.jpg

The Celestron finder comes with an SCT type bracket so you would need to replace it and use a Badder shoe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guiding-Telescope-Diameter-Finders-astrophotography/dp/B07RQT5CHV/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=svbony+guide+scope+bracket&qid=1589645455&sr=8-1

Or buy the Antares Illuminated RACI finder and a bracket.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-8-x-50-right-angled-correct-image-illuminated-finderscopes.html

Then use the Baader finder shoe which is a straight replacement for the Bresser one.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-universal-quick-release-finderscope-base.html

The Svbony bracket and Baader shoe on my dob.

63D50636-A8F1-4895-9B8F-EFD1468013E4.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

I use the Celestron Illuminated RACI finder on my 12 inch dobsonian.

I don't use the mount that it comes with though. I took the finder out and fitted it into a Skywatcher 9x50 RACI mount. It fitted OK but the Celestron finder is a little shorter bodywise than the Skywatcher 9x50 RACI so it is just long enough, but only just. I also had to make my own rubber rings from an old bicycle inner tube to hold the finder in the front part of the Skywatcher finder mount. In it's standard mount the Celestron finder uses a thick rubber O ring which is much too thick to fit inside the Skwatcher mount.

The Celestron finder is a little heavier than the Skywatcher so be aware of that if balance is critical. The eyepiece and diagonal arrangement are quite different to accommodate the illuminated reticule.

Its a good finder though and I find the illumination nice to have although you can use the finder without turning it on.

Some photos of my setup:

P1090655.JPG

P1090656.JPG

P1090657.JPG

• Thanks 1

I have the celestron finder attached to my newt. Had to drill the tube to fit it though (three holes in a triangle formation) and use a couple of washers under the front screw to raise it up a little. 

Looking at your Bresser pics you will definitely need to drill the tube to fit it unless you can solve the problem like John has above, fitting into a SW bracket. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

I have the celestron finder attached to my newt. Had to drill the tube to fit it though (three holes in a triangle formation) and use a couple of washers under the front screw to raise it up a little. 

Looking at your Bresser pics you will definitely need to drill the tube to fit it unless you can solve the problem like John has above, fitting into a SW bracket. 

The Baader shoe is a straight bolt on replacement for the Bresser shoe. No drilling needed. 👍🏻

A regular Skywatcher shoe won’t fit as the mounting holes are too close together. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Baader shoe is a straight bolt on replacement for the Bresser shoe. No drilling needed. 👍🏻

A regular Skywatcher shoe won’t fit as the mounting holes are too close together. 

Sorry I should have said to use the celestron bracket you will need to drill the tube. 

That svbony bracket is really good value, wish I'd seen that when I got the celestron finder! 

• Thanks 1

Blimey guys, thanks very much!

I've got a lot of things to decide on now - I'll look at total costs, delivery times, etc.

One thing though. The finder bracket on my Bresser 8" looks a little different to most others. It's the full sized one, rather than the one with only 2 bolts (see below). Can anyone confirm that the Baader bracket will fit this?

IMG_20200516_200937293.jpg

I also had a look at the Explorer Scientific RACI, but it's a polar scope and has an engraved pole star finder diagram as the reticule, which is a bit of a bummer! It would fit the current bracket though. It's surprising that none of the Bresser 'group' has a RACI finder to fit their own bracket. 

685c5a23e5ab7aacfe4750c9e1821dec_0620160_m.jpg

Looks like they have changed the bracket to one with four screws. I suppose being plastic perhaps it needed strengthening.? If the spacing is the same the Baader should still fit OK. Spacing between the screws is 27-45mm.

Just fill the unused two holes with small nuts and bolts or stick on white screw covers.

Here’s the one on that was on mine.

11D85CA9-C9F7-4F30-8B72-17328A9079EF.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

28 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Blimey guys, thanks very much!

I've got a lot of things to decide on now - I'll look at total costs, delivery times, etc.

One thing though. The finder bracket on my Bresser 8" looks a little different to most others. It's the full sized one, rather than the one with only 2 bolts (see below). Can anyone confirm that the Baader bracket will fit this?

IMG_20200516_200937293.jpg

Meade used to use those on their refractors (metal rather than plastic). The Baader shoe should fit OK but you will have a couple of other holes to plug. Of course the original mount for the Celestron Illuminated RACI might well also bolt on there OK but you would need to put something between the base of that and the scope tube to stop the mount denting the tube.

4 hours ago, John said:

I use the Celestron Illuminated RACI finder on my 12 inch dobsonian.

I don't use the mount that it comes with though. I took the finder out and fitted it into a Skywatcher 9x50 RACI mount.

John,

Do you still have the original Celestron mount that it came in?