SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sadr region

Allinthehead

Hi all. This is a first light image with my newly acquired Epsilon 130d.  Some of you will know that i owned one of these and decided to sell it, i was warned i'd regret it and i did, so when this came up second hand but only used in a display i decided to go for it. 

One of the main reasons i sold it was because i had these large suction cups behind the stars, see below.

Inchwormfinalcropstars.thumb.jpg.0c8eeec23772d3c8a39229bab3e24286.jpg

Low_str_9hr.thumb.jpg.51926613d4c4f2a9a1702a7dffe1c8ec.jpg

This is 9hrs in 180 second subs with my Asi 2600mc 

Mounted on an AzEq6

Captured using Sgpro, Stacked in APP, Processed in APP, PI, and PS. No Calibration frames yet.

It's not the prettiest but there's lots going on the background so worth a zoom around. Stars have some issues, possibly collimation or spacing. 

Richard.

Low_str_9hr.thumb.jpg.5cf51d1c89fd693540d705b36b31e4f8.jpg

• Like 12

I was tempted to look at this region last night I have to say!  You've saved me the bother now.  Another cracker Richard.

Can I ask whats changed between image 1 and image 2?  Camera, Telescope, Filters, Processing?

Thanks

Adam

24 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Hi all. This is a first light image with my newly acquired Epsilon 130d.  Some of you will know that i owned one of these and decided to sell it, i was warned i'd regret it and i did, so when this came up second hand but only used in a display i decided to go for it. 

One of the main reasons i sold it was because i had these large suction cups behind the stars, see below.

Inchwormfinalcropstars.thumb.jpg.0c8eeec23772d3c8a39229bab3e24286.jpg

Low_str_9hr.thumb.jpg.51926613d4c4f2a9a1702a7dffe1c8ec.jpg

This is 9hrs in 180 second subs with my Asi 2600mc 

Mounted on an AzEq6

Captured using Sgpro, Stacked in APP, Processed in APP, PI, and PS. No Calibration frames yet.

It's not the prettiest but there's lots going on the background so worth a zoom around. Stars have some issues, possibly collimation or spacing. 

Richard.

Low_str_9hr.thumb.jpg.5cf51d1c89fd693540d705b36b31e4f8.jpg

Certainly a lot of SuperTrouper stars there🌃

Roger

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I was tempted to look at this region last night I have to say!  You've saved me the bother now.  Another cracker Richard.

Can I ask whats changed between image 1 and image 2?  Camera, Telescope, Filters, Processing?

Thanks

Adam

Thanks Adam. It's not ideally positioned and there are a lot of subs taken before and after astro dark but it's nice and bright. 

I realise now i wasn't clear, the first crop was taken two years ago with the 071 which created the suction cups. Second one is with the 2600.

• Like 1

Interesting. I have the same sort of "suction cups" and use a QHY168C (same sensor as the ZWO 071). I have attributed these artifacts to my corrector lenses, but it might be in the camera after all. 

I do agree that a fast system is super addictive 😉

28 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Certainly a lot of SuperTrouper stars there🌃

Roger

Thanks Roger.

18 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks pretty good Richard, I'm still trying to get collimation spot on with my poor mans Epsilon plus blacking out a few nice shiny screws in the tube 😁

Dave

Thanks Dave. I did look at the Sharpstar, very interesting scope. I have to admit that there's some joy to be had in getting a fast newt singing, although you would have thought shiny screws in the tube would be a pretty obvious design flaw.

14 minutes ago, Annehouw said:

Interesting. I have the same sort of "suction cups" and use a QHY168C (same sensor as the ZWO 071). I have attributed these artifacts to my corrector lenses, but it might be in the camera after all. 

I do agree that a fast system is super addictive 😉

Yes, that is interesting. I spent quite a lot of energy trying to figure out the cause. Would you have some examples to share?

20 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Dave. I did look at the Sharpstar, very interesting scope. I have to admit that there's some joy to be had in getting a fast newt singing, although you would have thought shiny screws in the tube would be a pretty obvious design flaw.

A scary thread about them on CN, should have read it first 😂

Anyone thinking of buying one should get the TS version as they seem to give them a thorough check over, including collimating,  before sending them out.

Dave

11 hours ago, Annehouw said:

did some work in post to minimize them, but unfortunately I cannot get rid of them entirely. Of course this reflection is on all my stars, making them bigger than need be.

Yes that looks very similar to what i had. It's a strange one as the 071 has no such issues with refractors. 

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

A scary thread about them on CN, should have read it first 😂

Anyone thinking of buying one should get the TS version as they seem to give them a thorough check over, including collimating,  before sending them out.

Dave

Just had a read of that thread and you're right scary stuff indeed. Glad i went with the Tak. I don't mind a bit of tweaking but that's nuts. Are you making any progress with yours?

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Yes that looks very similar to what i had. It's a strange one as the 071 has no such issues with refractors. 

I did not see it with refractors as well. But, fast optics present a whole range of challenges and these kind of reflections probably are part of that game. Good to see that this one is now behind you!

9 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Just had a read of that thread and you're right scary stuff indeed. Glad i went with the Tak. I don't mind a bit of tweaking but that's nuts. Are you making any progress with yours?

Got it close to collimated, made an artificial star now to test it, watched a few collimation vid's with some contradictory advice, either always have the scope level on a bench or don't collimate the scope level but pointing up as in use, needs to be 30 feet away from artificial star, only needs to be a few feet away, that seems wrong as the minimum focus seems to be around thirty feet so first one seems right but how do folk do it in workshops ?

Wonder if it would work indoors aiming it back and forth via mirrors ?

Bought a super duper HG laser collimator with attachment for fast scopes, but no instructions so not a clue how it helps.

Just trying to figure out how to set it up in the garage at the bottom of the garden and aim it uphill to artificial star stuck on the house 😂

Would have helped if had arrived collimated but all the primary mirror screws were backed out.

No big panic though as I was planning on taking it to a dark site which wont be happening any time soon.

Dave

40 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just trying to figure out how to set it up in the garage at the bottom of the garden and aim it uphill to artificial star stuck on the house 😂

😁 lucky you have the space. 

Collimation on these fast scopes needs to be bang on but by the sounds of it you have other issues to deal with. In that thread they spoke about getting the focuser aligned with the secondary first and then go from there. I thought i had problems trying to get my head around the Epsilon's instructions. It's like they used a thesaurus on every word to translate it🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Bought a super duper HG laser collimator with attachment for fast scopes, but no instructions so not a clue how it helps.

Dave

I had the same problem with my Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED ,so didnt know wether to use the extension tube(i should) or hints on focusing or tips on wether my guide camera wa ssuitable(it is).

No online manual at all,poor show SW.

Roger