Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling Lunar Obsevers!

CraigT82

I have a  image of the crater Albategnius, which is located just to the east of the well known Ptolemaeus/Alphonsus/Arzachel trio. 

The central peak of Albategnius contains a small crater at the very top, however I can't find any information (googling) on whether this is an impact crater or is related to volcanic in some way. If an impact it is a pretty damn nicely placed one! 

Do any lunar observers have any information on this feature in their books? 

Cheers

20200513_170715.jpg

That tiny crater is described as "relatively recent" in the Wikipedia entry for Albategnius so I guess it must be of impact origin, if that is correct.

• Like 1

The book Craters of the Near Side of the Moon, by John Moore, mentions that the floor of Albategnius may be fluidized eject from the Imbrium impact rather than lava flow. So it's highly likely then that the crater pit is a small impact crater, but the book does put (vent?) as a possibility. personally i believe it to be more likely an impact crater, but I've been wrong before!

Interesting question Craig and had me looking at my books.

Not a mention in the 3 volumes of Luna Cognita, which is disappointing.

Its on the edge of two maps in 21st Century Atlas of the Moon, so again missed.

Observing The Moon, Gerald North has its own pages, hurrah we say,
The peak in Albategnius is thought older than the smaller crater Klein in the NE corner.
So the peak is quite old, but sadly no mention of the craterlet at the peak.
Book written in 2000, so did Mr North not see a craterlet or did it get edited out??

My gut feeling is that it is a lucky impact crater.

Thanks for the efforts and comments everyone. 

I also had some input from the lunar section at the BAA and the consensus is that it is an impact crater, and it even has another tinier crater within it (easliy seen in the quickmap app).

Thanks again

Craig