NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do I need a reducer?

Hi I have a Sky-Watcher Evostar 102 and I’m trying to start imaging with it. Below is a picture of my current set up which is the tele eyepiece projector going straight into the back then onto a t ring onto the DSLR. I was wondering if I need a reducer for this like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-adapter-for-sky-watcher-focal-reducers.html

74D9C456-B875-4340-8429-E158336EED52.jpeg

Edited by ThomasF1234

are you using eyepiece projection to capture, or just the DSLR in afocal mode?

Can't answer if a reducer or coma corrector is needed but I'd think if eyepiece projecting it wouldn't help at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

are you using eyepiece projection to capture, or just the DSLR in afocal mode?

Can't answer if a reducer or coma corrector is needed but I'd think if eyepiece projecting it wouldn't help at all.

I have this as seen below in the picture going into the back of the telescope with the T Ring then attached and the camera attached to the T Ring and I have the camera in manual

31FC852A-FF8A-40FD-AC73-04E7B81B7BF5.jpeg

Edited by ThomasF1234

12 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

ah ok, but using an eyepiece in it? or just using it as an extension tube?

Just as an extension tube really because I initially tried to attach the t ring straight to the telescope but I could only do that by adding this extension type thing. So it ends up like the picture below and that goes straight onto the telescope 

86CB4DFB-A519-4C87-B520-4C06BA0CB7E7.jpeg

Edited by ThomasF1234

cool, so you're using the camera afocal prime focus in that case, hopefully someone with the right expertise will be able to advise with that information :) 

Edited by DaveL59
correcting terminology - my bad
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

cool, so you're using the camera afocal in that case, hopefully someone with the right expertise will be able to advise with that information :) 

The method is called prime focus not afocal. Afocal imaging is shooting through the camera lens onto an eyepiece. Prime focus uses the telescope as the camera's lens.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

you're using the camera afocal

I don't think the OP has a lens attached to the camera (?) and I think the tube attached to the t ring is empty.

If that's the case then I'd try without a field flattener to see if the results -look at stars around the edges of the frame- are acceptable first. If you want to go further, borrow a ff from an astro club before investing as they're quite an expensive item.

HTH

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alacant said:

I don't think the OP has a lens attached to the camera (?) and I think the tube attached to the t ring is empty.

If that's the case then I'd try without a field flattener to see if the results -look at stars around the edges of the frame- are acceptable first. If you want to go further, borrow a ff from an astro club before investing as they're quite an expensive item.

HTH

Thank you! I’ll give my setup a go and see how it does :)

19 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The method is called prime focus not afocal. Afocal imaging is shooting through the camera lens onto an eyepiece. Prime focus uses the telescope as the camera's lens.

ahh doh! mixed the terminology, my bad :( (corrected)

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1