Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Software for checking subs prior to stacking

I personally use PI to Blink and mark images as bad and move them to a Bad folder prior to grading them.  This works well and is relatively quick and easy to do.

I'm in the process of showing and teaching someone else the dark arts, they're already capturing good data but they don't have PI and it's too expensive atm.  Capture camera is a modded Canon DSLR, software currently available is SGP, DSS and PS CS2.

What free softwares are people using to check for and reject bad subs prior to stacking?  I'm hoping there's an easier, slicker, solution than loading files into DSS, zooming into an image, excluding it from the DSS stack and then remembering to locate it and move it in Windows explorer.  I know SGP can grade images, and it's good at grading by number of stars and star sizes, where it falls down is identifying subs with slight trailing that you'd want to exclude.

I guess what I'm looking for ideally is something similar to the PI Blink tool. You load all your subs, click through your images and if you identify one you want to exclude you can move it to another folder from within the tool.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or care to share your workflows with me?

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If they are using SGPro, then the subs can be marked bad within the application, especially when viewed in the preview.

Can you load a bunch of images into SGP and flick through them though?

He's got data shot over several nights, using Blink in PI I'd usually watch through them a few times and get an idea of what I want to keep / reject.

What I do is put all the subs into DSS and register them, once registered it will give the number of stars it found in each sub and a score for each sub (a low score could be a Sat trail, passing cloud or dew starting to form etc).

I usually then delete the subs with the lowest 20% score , and stack the best 80%.

Its a pain in the neck visually looking at each sub to see whats good or bad, especially if you have 80 or more subs to appraise.

• Like 1