Vixen Super Polaris on Berlebach tripod

Stu

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, yet another little project that lockdown sorting has allowed me to do. Having cleared my garage out I have access to my tools and work bench so can achieve more of these things.

Nothing very tricky, just a wooden adaptor cut to roughly the right outer diameter and a central hole to take the SP centre shaft but I’m pleased with how it turned out. I had a large hole cutter of about the right size, and a smaller adjustable cutter that set to just larger than the SP base.

Painted black it looks ok and it does the job perfectly. Nice to have the mount on a lovely tripod.

D065D56D-B3D7-47D7-B3E8-3F66B9C629D9.jpeg

62099365-C3D3-405C-8A9A-684FE7DC9FE1.jpeg

94A64F7F-0793-4E1D-95EA-434F2D503935.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice job Stu !

My Berlebach is an HEQ5 fitting so is fine for the Vixen GP but I wouldn't mind putting the T-Rex on it as an option which is EQ6 compatible. I'll have to look up the johninderby HEQ5 - EQ6 Berlebach conversion thread and see how he did it.

Which Uni tripod is that by the way ?

Did you need a longer fastening bolt ?

37 minutes ago, John said:

Nice job Stu !

My Berlebach is an HEQ5 fitting so is fine for the Vixen GP but I wouldn't mind putting the T-Rex on it as an option which is EQ6 compatible. I'll have to look up the johninderby HEQ5 - EQ6 Berlebach conversion thread and see how he did it.

Which Uni tripod is that by the way ?

Did you need a longer fastening bolt ?

Mine was definitely the low budget, low skill version! Nothing sophisticated but does the job. Yes I did need a longer bolt, fortunately I had some threaded rod of the right size which I cut down, it is a smaller thread than the tripod head so just passes straight through.

• Thanks 1

Just remembered my deliberate mistake this evening. I wondered why my RA control wasn’t causing the mount to track in the right direction, but the DEC was!

Hmm, somehow I had managed to setup the mount very carefully and level, but facing South rather than North! 🤣🤣 DOH! Relatively easy to rotate it round though fortunately.

• Haha 2