NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

awful seeing or bad collimation ??

wesdon1

Hi all. Just wondering, has anyone else viewed Jupiter and Saturn recently in UK and had terribly blurry and distorted views of said Planets ? I have a big 8 inch Dob and i'm wondering is my collimation out, or is it awful seeing conditions causing my problems ? I viewed said planets through my 5.1 inch Newtonian reflector during last years best viewing times for said planets and the views were amazing. Now i do know that at the moment, said planets are relatively low on horizon, until later in year when they will climb significantly higher, but even when i viewed said planets low on horizon earlier in the year last year, i still managed decent views ? I'm at a loss to explain whats wrong tbh ?? So i would greatly appreciate anyone elses experiences recently, and whether they have noticed similar issues as mine ? Thanks.

Wes, Liverpool, UK ( Bortle 8-9 ) 

Skywatcher Newtonian Reflector 130/900. Skywatcher Dobsonian Newtonian Reflector 200/1200. Skywatcher Newtonian Reflector 114/500. Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe Mount. Skywatcher EQ2 Mount. Skywatcher EQ1 Mount. Various low end eyepieces. 2x and 5x Barlows. Infinite enthusiasm...

• Like 1

Gave up on Jupiter and Saturn last week when I had the chance to observe. Just no detail at all. Very disapointing. They are just so low down at the moment I suppose bad seeing is to be expected. 🙁

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Jupiter and Saturn so low at the moment it is a difficult time to observe them. I image/observed them 2 weeks ago, the view was dreadful.

You might want to ask a moderator to move this thread to the "Planetary observing" section where you should get more responses.

• Thanks 1

Mars is a bit better later this year, but both Jupiter and Saturn will take a few more years to clear the horizon significantly from mid-northern latitudes, unfortunately. Yes, the amount of air most likely hinders your observations.

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 11:05, johninderby said:

Gave up on Jupiter and Saturn last week when I had the chance to observe. Just no detail at all. Very disapointing. They are just so low down at the moment I suppose bad seeing is to be expected. 🙁

You descriptions of them are exact same as my experiences. After few responses i received so far, i'm 99% certain it's the seeing conditions combined with them both being too low at the moment. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by wesdon1
spelling

19 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Jupiter and Saturn so low at the moment it is a difficult time to observe them. I image/observed them 2 weeks ago, the view was dreadful.

You might want to ask a moderator to move this thread to the "Planetary observing" section where you should get more responses.

Yes i'll ask Moderator to move it to Planetary, Thanks. The view was/is indeed dreadful. No detail, just a blurry mess. Should be much better later in the year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Yes i'll ask Moderator to move it to Planetary, Thanks. The view was/is indeed dreadful. No detail, just a blurry mess. Should be much better later in the year.

All sorted and moved. 😉

After getting my small 130mm dob out this morning I could barely make out detail on jupiter (could see two bands). Saturn was very small. This was done at a magnification of 162x. As I am new to the hobby I don’t know if this is too much power for jupiter. I was definitely happier with saturn than Jupiter.

Think I will wait until July when they are both at opposition. So overall I was wondering if anyone could give me optimal magnification for jupiter on a 5” aperture.

6 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

I don't know if you image at all, but this was all i managed the other week. Barely make out the equatorial belts.

Just a question as well, is you scope left outside or do leave it out for a while to allow it to cool to outside temperature before using?

132288532_2020_04_1103.54OSCAWFULSEEING@10degrees.png.fc4159182952faa9f0ea9227dd480e77.png