Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead - Planning ahead

21 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Just had a look at this DSO, It will be really, really hard to get this one. It only rises to around 8 degree, this obviously isn't the same way down in the canaries. 

Not saying it isn't doable, just think you are going to need the best skies ever akin to the type needed for the horsey. 

My list is growing nicely. 

Yes that is a point Steve, Neil whom I mentioned earlier is better located observing from the flat plains beyond Norwich. I tried to have a go for this from a fairly lofty hilltop location, wild camping, but unexpected cloud spoilt that. Barnard's E, west by north west of Gamma Aquilae, as mentioned by Gerry, is more feasible but still can be tricky, requiring very good transparency. Sweeping through the Summer Milky Way field particularly within the Great Rift with binoculars or rich field telescope, would be a soothing introduction to the complexity of dusty dark clouds. Perhaps, so that you can get a good commanding view of the Milky Way, could you grind a little bit further north on the M6 towards The Northern Pennines. Somewhere with a good view of the Summer Milky Way, killed off in most instances with our silly urban lighting, is a truly absorbing sight.     

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

I have tried for the HH about 15 times.

Excellent!

You've tried almost as many times as me before I saw it lol!

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

I wouldn't know how to go about this aspect of the hobby, are there any guides to assist in getting to grips with it.

The dark nebs are a favourite here. Its easy really, use no filter, observe under dark transparent skies and look for patches of sky with no (or very little) stars. Many to choose from- around the stunning M24 ( a must see) there are a couple and more in the area.

Buried in the North American nebula there are a couple of dark ones and much more around it- 2 easy ones just off it.

I mentioned the Aquila/Tarazed ones because they are easy to find- go to Tarezed and move a squeak over and your in one. No searching etc.

Use your 26mm Nagler for these bigger dark neb and practise finding the edges. These things are all over the place. The 26 Nagler can work on the HH but controlling Alnitak is a huge asset espc at first. I have never been able to see the HH with a 3mm exit pupil or less...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Excellent!

You've tried almost as many times as me before I saw it lol!

The dark nebs are a favourite here. Its easy really, use no filter, observe under dark transparent skies and look for patches of sky with no (or very little) stars. Many to choose from- around the stunning M24 ( a must see) there are a couple and more in the area.

Buried in the North American nebula there are a couple of dark ones and much more around it- 2 easy ones just off it.

I mentioned the Aquila/Tarazed ones because they are easy to find- go to Tarezed and move a squeak over and your in one. No searching etc.

Use your 26mm Nagler for these bigger dark neb and practise finding the edges. These things are all over the place. The 26 Nagler can work on the HH but controlling Alnitak is a huge asset espc at first. I have never been able to see the HH with a 3mm exit pupil or less...

Ok thanks Gerry. I wasn't sure if any filter was needed or special technique for spotting them.

What is it the dark nebula are made up off, is it simply clumps of non-ionised gas or dust blocking out the light or something more exotic?

Steve

• Like 1

Just done a quick stellarium search and the version I am running actually shows the patch of sky with the nebula off to the side by around 2 degrees.  

I shall have to explore these further. This has been a great thread for me in terms of finding out new things to go for. 

I love seeing and viewing M42 as a classic example, however I think you can get too much of a good thing and it's good if you can mix it up from time to time to keep things fresh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

What is it the dark nebula are made up off

I think its dense dust that might have ice or something else in there that blocks most light. Some are very striking in appearance. Speaking of Orion have you seen the dust lane that cuts M43 ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetstream said:

I think its dense dust that might have ice or something else in there that blocks most light. Some are very striking in appearance. Speaking of Orion have you seen the dust lane that cuts M43 ?

Having a look at images I obviously have seen it but looked straight past it because I didn't realise at the time what I was looking at. (does that actually make sense 😆 )

Just found a wider field image of Orion including the flame and HH which really does show you the dark nebula contrasting the glow from emission nebula.

I will be looking for DN's much more often on DSO's, it will certainly add new depth to the viewing experience and I look forward to approaching M42/43 with renewed enthusiasm. Kudos Hawksmoor for the image. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Having a look at images I obviously have seen it but looked straight past it because I didn't realise at the time what I was looking at. (does that actually make sense 😆 )

Just found a wider field image of Orion including the flame and HH which really does show you the dark nebula contrasting the glow from emission nebula.

I will be looking for DN's much more often on DSO's, it will certainly add new depth to the viewing experience and I look forward to approaching M42/43 with renewed enthusiasm. Kudos Hawksmoor for the image. 

One of the things you can note from images like that is just how much fainter the HH and IC 434 is. And the Flame can be pretty hard to see in less than dark skies !

The sketches here are the closest I've found to what I managed to observe of it with my 12 inch:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Astrosketches/horsehead-nebula-sketch.html

No "Chess Knight" head for me - just the vaguest indications of a "bite" out of the faint glow of IC 434.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John said:

No "Chess Knight" head for me

Me neither even in my 24, mind you I dont study this underwhelming challenge, it just an occasional pass through observation now. I like the Flame much better and do spend time on it but even a little bit of "untransparency":grin: (new word) makes it hide IMHO.

For me the value of the HH was the worthwhile pursuit and eventual observation.

• Like 2

Me neither even in my 24, mind you I dont study this underwhelming challenge, it just an occasional pass through observation now. I like the Flame much better and do spend time on it but even a little bit of "untransparency":grin: (new word) makes it hide IMHO.

For me the value of the HH was the worthwhile pursuit and eventual observation.

Similarly for me and I was very pleased to get it from my back yard.

I will probably look in on it again occasionally but no more. I think chasing these "hard to get" targets sharpens your skills though and that pays dividends when observing more straightforward targets - you can tease a bit more out of them.

• Like 2

It makes for a good conversation point even on a sunny May day with increasingly diminishing astronomical dark sky. A good quality H-beta filter is worth while long after the allure of the Horse Head has been realised. The California Nebula is a superb target in the right circumstances and recently I have been able to explore more extensively Barnard's Loop, another tricky subject, just different. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

One of the things you can note from images like that is just how much fainter the HH and IC 434 is. And the Flame can be pretty hard to see in less than dark skies !

The sketches here are the closest I've found to what I managed to observe of it with my 12 inch:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Astrosketches/horsehead-nebula-sketch.html

No "Chess Knight" head for me - just the vaguest indications of a "bite" out of the faint glow of IC 434.

Great sketch that John, had me saying, is that is, to myself and then, well that's going to be tricky. 

Again I will say some great info coming out of this thread, and we haven't ever reached the summer solstice. 

• Like 1