NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

fast ssd laptop recommendation please...solar imaging capture

Hi Philip and welcome to SGL.

Do you already have a laptop ? I use an old Mac Book Pro and external 1tb USB drive and capture direct to it to save clogging up the laptop drive, also keep it all on the external drive to process and only transfer the tiffs to laptop for finishing.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Philip and welcome to SGL.

Do you already have a laptop ? I use an old Mac Book Pro and external 1tb USB drive and capture direct to it to save clogging up the laptop drive, also keep it all on the external drive to process and only transfer the tiffs to laptop for finishing.

Dave

What sort of frame rate do you get?  This would be a good option if it works effectively 

Edited by tooth_dr

Hi

yes I have two laptops ( over 3 years old/ windows10) not checked yet if there is a usb3 port. These do not contain a  SSD. Would I require a certain memory ram size in the lap top too.

As regards external SSD drive. Do you mean connect this to the  USB3 port on the laptop ( if I have the usb3 port) and capture images on the SSD and then transfer these captured images to the software on the laptop. Will the laptop slow down the SSD capture or does the USB3 connection mean that the SSD will perform as fast as it should or will it only perform as fast as the laptop allows.

As you gather  I have just a basic knowledge of computers. I am working on my desktop just now.

many thanks so far

would anything like this do https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-250-core-i5-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-home-laptop-6mp21es/version.asp

or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Portable-External-Solid-STCM1000400/dp/B07DWBQZP2?ref_=s9_apbd_otopr_hd_bw_bT8Wwx&pf_rd_r=ZGYNPAF9FX99MMK7V7EY&pf_rd_p=5e37eab7-ddae-50bf-b469-7681fe05db09&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=430547031

or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078STRHBX/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078STRHBX&pd_rd_w=q6sno&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=Eacw5&pf_rd_r=2SS0TA456NA27C6Z6SA7&pd_rd_r=337f58b2-c211-409c-9bf3-54cdb0131653&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlhLMVFTWDFSTUwyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzA3MDg4TVVSNTlQUDZCRTVKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NDQ0MzJOTFgxSDRXSFpCMEYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Philip

Edited by Philip601

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

What sort of frame rate do you get?  This would be a good option if it works effectively 

Using ZWO ASI178 get about 40fps at full frame and progressively higher fps using ROI.

Great advantage is doing all the processing on the external drive and only transferring decent tiffs to laptop.

Dave

• Like 1

Your existing lap[top should be fine, it should have USB3 I'd have thought .

If you capture AVI / SER  to the external drive then using Autoakkert 3 process them on the external drive so that you can reject all the rubbish, move tiffs to laptop and process with imppg and P'Shop.

You can then delete the folder from the external drive ready for next go.

Dave

• Like 1

•  These are the specs of the camera
  •  Region of Interest Mode lets you capture up to 16 areas inside the effective pixels. This ability allows for even higher frame rates.
  • High speed imaging with a max of 164.5 fps at 10 bit ADC, and max of 128.2 fps at 12 bit ADC
  • external ssd drive seems the way to go but must have a usb3 port on my laptop.
  • what would be the recommended ram on the laptop 

many thanks

Philip

Hi Dave

I think that sorts me out then . It has to be an external ssd drive. I was concerned that the laptop which the external SSD connects to thru usb3 would slow the SSD drive down for capture. Shows you how bad I am with computers. So I needn't worry on that score.

thanks

Philip

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philip601 said:

Hi Dave

I think that sorts me out then . It has to be an external ssd drive. I was concerned that the laptop which the external SSD connects to thru usb3 would slow the SSD drive down for capture. Shows you how bad I am with computers. So I needn't worry on that score.

thanks

Philip

I was concerned also re slowing down, good to know 👍🏼

@Davey-T would you share a link to a suitable SSD please.

wow that's a big difference in price from the ones I was looking at. Is there any reason for that. The storage looks ok at 1tb ...but will it be  a bit slower acquiring the images. As you know it has to be a fast ssd to acquire solar images sunspots, prominences etc.

Philip

4 minutes ago, Philip601 said:

wow that's a big difference in price from the ones I was looking at. Is there any reason for that

Just slower, but works ok for me.

Dave