Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Omegon Camera anyone?

Tommohawk

Hi all. Just considering a new camera and like the look of the Omegon Velox - looks like the chips are similar to ASI range.  Has anyone had any experience with any of their cameras? Just wondering what they're like for service/quality and importantly integration with Firecapture. Or maybe the supplied capture software is adequate.

Any ideas/thoughts?

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Found this sensor info

Thanks for that too - I'd found that chart... but then lost it! the manufacturer web site does have useful info - I guess I was more thinking also about the practical issues. There doesnt seen to be much mention of them here on SGL.

Edited by Tommohawk

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Looks like another set of rebadged Touptek cameras.

James

I'm not familiar with the Touptek range, but they certainly look similar to ZWO products both for sensor options and bodies. They seem to offer the smaller 41mm "mini" body options in USB3 though which ZWO dont.

That said, the Omegon product description blurb says they are USB3 but the  spec sheet shows USB 2. Frame rates look comparable to ASI USB3 and they have a USB3 socket so probably is. Also they don't quote frame rates by ROI so I need to be sure the capture software will offer associated increased frame rates. As you might guess this is for my prime focus camera project.

19 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

I'm not familiar with the Touptek range, but they certainly look similar to ZWO products both for sensor options and bodies. They seem to offer the smaller 41mm "mini" body options in USB3 though which ZWO dont.

ZWO are probably the odd ones out, to be fair.  Touptek are a Chinese camera manufacturer who sell cameras under their own name, but they're also rebranded (potentially with a few modifications along the way such as case design) by Altair, Orion, Risingcam and, it would appear, Omegon.  There's also a lot of outward similarity between some of the Touptek and Mallincam cameras (and internal, in some cases, as the Mallincam libraries recognise some Touptek cameras and vice-versa).  The software shipped with the cameras usually appears to be Touptek's software, rebranded, as well.

ZWO appear to design their own cameras around the same sensors, so I don't think the connection is as close as it is with the others.  The similarity of case designs isn't always easy to ascribe to sheer coincidence however.  It's possible I guess that many of the cases come from a third party and it's just easier and cheaper to use similar designs.

James

• Like 1