Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dual refractor binocular telescope

Is it easily possible to strap two refractors together to get a high quality binocular view (with something such as 2 x Megrez 72mm APO's or even just cheap Achros) with interchangable eyepieces ? This must have been tried by numerous people or is there a very obvious problem. The cost of 2 x Achros plus 2 x Revelation eyepiece kits seems like a cheap way of getting a spectacular view. I realise that budget 100mm Binoculars are now quite cheap but high quality versions are still very expensive (more than 2 x 72mm Megrez). I do not think having to focus individually would be that much of a hassle as you have to fine tune binoculars as it is. Anybody given it a go ? Just thinking that if I change scopes it may be an idea to go down the route of a small APO with the view to duplicating the scope and linking them rather than trying to save for a larger and much more expensive refractor. I have tried a Dob and did not get on with the setup for various reasons. Thanks

Martin

I think the main problem would be getting the e/ps the right distance apart for your eyes and unless you have some mechanism for adjusting that, no-one else would be able to use them. Also, two meg 72s plus diagonals plus e/ps and I don't think you'll be saving too much money. having said that, it can be done -I've seen pics of binos made from 2 150mm newts :shock:

I was in Rother Valley Optics in Sheffield the other day, and noticed this huge contraption they have in the window, which was two 6 inch reflectors on a mount joined by a binocular viewer.The sales guy told me its a fully computerized model, and apparently the chap that makes them to order does them up to 12 or 14 inches per scope!!

Martin,

wouldn't it be easier, and probably cheaper, to buy one larger scope to overcome the slight light loss of a binocular viewer. Buy a good quality binocular viewer, such as Denkmeier, and two sets of eyepieces.

regards,

Martyn

It has been done ! I think Jamie's done it with PST's and a chap on the aussie site, "iceinspace" has done it too.

Karlo

Hi Karlo

Yes you are correct, I have done this with 2 PST's and overcame the interpupilary distance issue.

My method of doing this would not work on bigger refractors as the tube diamiter would in effect take away the distance in which you could move the said scopes together/apart.

To do it properly with 2 refractors you will need something along the lines of this to sort the eye distance issue. (taking into account the bigger the scope the bigger the focuser fitting will be)

Binoscope%20far%20IPD.jpg

Is it easily possible to strap two refractors together to get a high quality binocular view (with something such as 2 x Megrez 72mm APO's or even just cheap Achros) with interchangable eyepieces ? This must have been tried by numerous people or is there a very obvious problem. The cost of 2 x Achros plus 2 x Revelation eyepiece kits seems like a cheap way of getting a spectacular view. I realise that budget 100mm Binoculars are now quite cheap but high quality versions are still very expensive (more than 2 x 72mm Megrez). I do not think having to focus individually would be that much of a hassle as you have to fine tune binoculars as it is. Anybody given it a go ? Just thinking that if I change scopes it may be an idea to go down the route of a small APO with the view to duplicating the scope and linking them rather than trying to save for a larger and much more expensive refractor. I have tried a Dob and did not get on with the setup for various reasons. Thanks

Martin

Martin,

I think for information you could try www.cloudynights.com in the binocular forum. Friendly people just like on SGL. Serious bino addicts over there. You won't be disappointed by the info you receive.

Glen.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived