Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

B400 vs B600

bomberbaz

Hello everyone, I trust you are all keeping well and socially distancing. 

Ok so here is my question. I have a now discontinued LS35 fitted with a B400 blocking filter. I am enjoying using the 35 but the FOV is incredibly tight which detracts from some of the fun of viewing. 

SO would changing the filter to a B600 make a significant difference to the fov. I have been trying to get details online to help me figure this out but not having much luck.

Cost around £350  for a B600. Up to around £650 for a B1200. ( both are direct from USA wth VAT added, may be slightly more)

However at that cost of the B1200 I start thinking maybe  another option might be new OTA altogether.

Your help is much appreciated.

Steve

Edited by bomberbaz

Steve,

the LS35 has a focal length of 400mm, hence the choice of the BF400 which allows full viewing of the solar disk.

Using a larger BF won't change the view of the solar disk but just allow a wider field around the Sun to be viewed.......

A big expense for little gain.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello everyone, I trust you are all keeping well and socially distancing. 

Ok so here is my question. I have a now discontinued LS35 fitted with a B400 blocking filter. I am enjoying using the 35 but the FOV is incredibly tight which detracts from some of the fun of viewing. 

SO would changing the filter to a B600 make a significant difference to the fov. I have been trying to get details online to help me figure this out but not having much luck.

Cost around £350  for a B600. Up to around £650 for a B1200. ( both are direct from USA wth VAT added, may be slightly more)

However at that cost of the B1200 I start thinking maybe  another option might be new OTA altogether.

Your help is much appreciated.

Steve

There is a LS35 deluxe on ABS, or certainly was yesterday. £400. It will have the B600. Having owned one myself and done a little imaging with it, I suspect you would find the 600 acceptable. Sell yours and buy the one on ABS. Probably the cheapest option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby1970 said:

There is a LS35 deluxe on ABS, or certainly was yesterday. £400. It will have the B600. Having owned one myself and done a little imaging with it, I suspect you would find the 600 acceptable. Sell yours and buy the one on ABS. Probably the cheapest option. 

Sold mate, nevermind, I shall have to wait and put up with the scope as it is until something comes along. TBH it's reasonable at lower mags but when you start to crank it a little is when it gets more challenging.

7 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Sold mate, nevermind, I shall have to wait and put up with the scope as it is until something comes along. TBH it's reasonable at lower mags but when you start to crank it a little is when it gets more challenging.

Oh, that's a shame it has sold. I'm not sure how good the scope will ever be for high mags anyway with such a small aperture. I generally used it for full disks, viewing and imaging. 

Good luck whatever you decide 👍

Really, for the expense involved, is it worth exchanging the B400 for the B600 if it is exclusively for visual?
How much more field can we get? 1/2 º?
If the L35 has 400mm of focal length, the B400 would allow obtaining 1º of maximum field, right?
Usually, what magnification can this solar telescope hold up well?

Cheers
Tico.

I think you are right that it is about 1 degree fov but eye position is very tricky and can be quite frustrating.

I think aboutx 30 to 40 is around as high as I have taken it, it might take a little more but as yet I havn't pushed it beyond as mentioned. 

I did make this post when half way through my 2nd box of golden ales so perhaps wasn't thinking as clearly as now.

I think I shall keep my eye on the 2nd hand markets and make do with what I have for now.