NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can’t see anything with ZWO 385MC

3 minutes ago, ThomasF1234 said:

Would it best using a guide scope to help with this or is there some way of attaching the camera to the telescope in order to be pointing the camera in the correct direction

If I were just using a DSLR and lens then I'd probably find a way to fit that directly to the mount.  I've used a ball-head and a short dovetail before now.

As to whether guiding would help, that depends on what kit you have.  You'd need a mount capable of being guided and either an autoguider or a computer and guide camera/guidescope.  If you don't have a mount you can guide then it's not going to help at all.

A guider is only there to improve the accuracy of tracking during the exposure though.  It's not to help find the target in the first place.

James

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JamesF said:

If I were just using a DSLR and lens then I'd probably find a way to fit that directly to the mount.  I've used a ball-head and a short dovetail before now.

As to whether guiding would help, that depends on what kit you have.  You'd need a mount capable of being guided and either an autoguider or a computer and guide camera/guidescope.  If you don't have a mount you can guide then it's not going to help at all.

A guider is only there to improve the accuracy of tracking during the exposure though.  It's not to help find the target in the first place.

James

As far as mounts go I have an EQ 3 with the synscan GOTO kit

4 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Have you thought about getting a copy of the book “making every photon count” (or something similar) as it will help you with the basics.

Thanks I’ll have a look into some books about this

2 minutes ago, ThomasF1234 said:

As far as mounts go I have an EQ 3 with the synscan GOTO kit

Then guiding should be possible, though personally I'd be tempted to keep things simple at first and try some unguided imaging because there's a lot to learn.  The book recommended above will probably be quite useful and potentially save you from wasting time and money doing the wrong thing.

James

• Thanks 1

Having put peters telescope in I’ve found that the FOV must be something around 0.69 x 0.39 (not sure if that is correct) and then looking at this guide scope https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html the FOV is 1.04 x 0.59. So by looking at this I think (correct me if wrong) the options are getting a guide scope/telescope like that or connecting my DSLR to my eq3 mount in some way. By the way would like to say huge thanks to everyone who inputted and helped along the way.

Edited by ThomasF1234

10 minutes ago, Freddie said:

I think you need to do a bit of research into what guide scopes are used for as you appear to be a bit confused on that.

Thanks I’ve had a look on the internet and realise I was wrong in assuming you could use it as a normal telescope. So the options are either using a DSLR like I have or getting a telescope with a bigger FOV like peters  or could something like what I have done on this picture work

9DE9E72C-A02C-401B-83B1-5B034A5586B2.jpeg

Edited by ThomasF1234