Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396, Elephants Trunk, can't decide which is best....

HotBlack

Hi guys,

Having imaged this the other night (Boxing Day) and having processed it in different ways I can't decide which is the best (maybe none of them). Unfortunately there is some star trailing, but apart from that the details are,

Stack of 10 off 140 second subs (all show the trailing), imaged with the modified EOS300D, Astronomik CLS clip filter, WO Megrez 80II FD. Stacked in DSS, with dark frame calibration.

I think this field has thrown me because there is nebulosity across the whole frame.

:)

Chris

post-13341-133877352353_thumb.jpg

post-13341-133877352361_thumb.jpg

post-13341-133877352368_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

I don't think there is much to choose between the three images and it is a very good start on this subject which I have to say is not a very easy subject to image as it is quite faint. As Les said you will need more time, ie in the region of 4 hours plus. To get the detail to show through with a digital SLR I am afraid you are probably looking at subframe exposure times between 5-10 minutes in order to get the detail to show and then as many subframes to stack as you can. To give an example, I imaged this subject earlier this year using narrowband filters and used 6x10 minutes per filter giving a total of 3 hours. Although I was lucky to have the image selected as APOD for Boxing Day, it still needs a lot more exposure time. Even the Ha subframes showed hardly anything on download and a fair bit of pushing in the processing was necessary to get a decent picture. Also bear in mind that the H36 camera I use is more sensitive than a digital SLR as well.

Regarding the image, you have ceratinly got the detail in the "Elephants Trunk" region which should give you a good footing to work on

Keep at it

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived