NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hunting down more galaxies in Virgo

With the 12" Dob still set up I wanted to view more of the objects not previously observed. Two of the objects are listed in Steve o' Meara's book 'The Secret Deep' - neither seen before.

I used mainly the 13mm Ethos but also used my 20mm and 9mm Myriad EPs.

Objects observed NGC 5846 (SD), NGC 4698 (SD), 4216, 4535, 5363, 4546, 4526, 4212 (Coma B), 5838, 5746. Whilst Corvus was nicely placed I did make a detour to view the Antennae galaxies. I did try the other day with the 6" Newt but failed to see them - OK in the 12".

I ended the night viewing M5 which in the 9mm Myraid, but especially in the 6mm Ethos, was fantastic

• Like 8

It's quite easy to get lost in the Virgo galaxies. :)

I popped out last week, but was ill prepared, without any charts or an atlas and I wasn't sure what I was looking at by the end!

I too ended up on M5, which was particularly lovely.

But it shows the difference a 12" 'scope can make compared to an 8".

I find things start to loose detail and contrast at higher than my 14mm.

2 hours ago, John said:

Great report again Mark :smiley:

I had a break from observing last night but my 12 inch dob is out again this evening. Hope to go for Coma B galaxies and the quasar in Virgo.

Yes John I have already prepared a list of galaxies in Coma B that I want to observe tonight. I still might end the night with M5.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Loving the globular M5 at the end...

I might just hunt globulars tonight.

Mark

Mark M5 was very impressive in the 12" last night so I cannot image the view in your 20". By the way I hope you are keeping safe and well - when this is over it would be nice to meet up again. I was going to the Webb Society AGM and was hoping to see you there - unfortunately all cancelled.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

.... I cannot image the view in your 20".....

I can - I observed M13 with a 20 inch dob at one of the SGL star parties a few years back. Not a view that I will forget in a hurry ! :shocked:

I also got to view M51 with the same scope on the same night - more jaw dropping views.