Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Little known frac? A hidden gem?

Despite currently trying not to make any more astro purchases, I always enjoy a little window shopping. My "theoretical" search for the biggest, all purpose refractor to mount on my AZ4 (considering what I know works with respect to physical size, weight and focal length) has bought me to this ED doublet from Omegon...

https://www.omegon.eu/telescopes/omegon-apochromatic-refractor-pro-apo-ap-110-660-ed-carbon-ota/p,55229

Omegon-Apochromatic-refractor-Pro-APO-AP-110-660-ED-Carbon-OTA.jpg

I can find nothing in the way of reviews though, apart from one Amazon review that says it's good, but no further detail. There has been talk of it on CN and it was apparently incorrectly identified as an Orion EON110 clone which received mixed reviews due to varying amounts of CA. This scope however is listed as having FPL53 glass over the FPL51 of the Orion and that's where the conversation ends.

So, what's the chances that anyone here has one, or has looked through one? I find it very appealing knowing how well I liked my ST120, but this of course has the ED glass and is a bit slower. It's also fairly light thanks to the Carbon OTA but it's a lot of money to take a chance on!

I'm not overly concerned with small amounts of colour, but I'd be interested to know how it performs in other areas such as SA considering it's still reasonably fast at F6. Is it the full 110mm clear aperture etc?

This would be strictly for visual use, I must add.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 2

Hello Jon. With no replies so far, perhaps I could comment.

You’re obviously aware that clones and the same scope can be found with different names.  Perhaps if you join Cloudy Nights a post on there may help ?

Refractor reviews can very so much, a perfectionist may make a good scope sound rubbish and someone else may be thrilled.   A bit like cars, my 2008 Fiesta is the best car I’ve owned and ticks all my boxes, a car enthusiast might say they’d sooner have a pair of roller skates.....

I wouldn’t get too hung up about FP51 or 53.  I’d much rather have a well made FP51 than a poorly made FP53.

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
Correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its short focal length is probably where its weakness lies. Having said that, the old F6.5 102mm Vixen ED was an amazing all round scope - if you can find one, and would leave some of these modern doublets standing on planetary. But I cant help thinking what else is available that would fit an AZ4 and give better performance. The SW 100ED and the SW 120ED come to mind. And for only €500 more (assuming similar current £value) you're in the light weight, high performance Tak FC100DC territory.

• Like 1

I've laid this idea to rest now, t's an unknown scope and too expensive to take a risk on. I think it would have been a good fit for the AZ4, but as you say Mike, given it's short focal length it may not have been the best all-rounder anyway.

• Like 1