NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accessories for Bresser Messier 10" Dobsonian

I have purchased the scope mentioned in the title and am looking to see which accessories I should buy for it. I have seen about UHC filters being good for aiding a clear image of nebulae. Is there any particular one I should buy? I am not sure of the difference between the 1.25" and 2"? I am a complete noob and don't really understand anything about telescopes.

Any recommendations for any filters/eye pieces will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading  

The difference between 1.25 and 2 is obviously the cost, but also they screw directly onto an eyepiece. So the one you buy depends what eyepieces you have and which ones you intend to use the filter on.

1.25 eyepieces are standard issue, cheaper, not generally capable of views as wide as 2 inch eyepieces.

2 inch eyepieces are more expensive, heavier but can offer stunning wide open views.

Most people tend to have 1 or 2 (or more) 2 inch eyepieces for low magnification, large nebula, large open clusters or even to make it easier when searching or star hopping.

I personally dont think filters are a beginner purchase. I have viewed through 2 different ones but never owned one myself. Nothing beats a dark sky! I'm sure other might recommend a UHC filter or similar but they wont work with moon, planets, clusters or galaxies and tend to be specific to certain types of object.

For eyepieces the BST Starguiders are great value for money. The OVL Nivana ES eyepieces are great 82 degree eyepieces and an absolute bargain when you consider they will be 95% as good as a Nagler in your dob for a fraction of the price. Pity only a few focal lengths available.The 26mm eyepiece that comes with the scope is actualy not bad quality and quite usable. 

A  30 to 35mm 2” eyepiece will be a nice addition but can be more expensive so would wait a little before deciding on one.

A moon filter is a good first filter purchase. Either an ND filter or a variable polarising filter. As you will using 1.25” for lunar viewing that’s the size to get. The variable polarising filter has the adavantage of being able to adjust the light transmission and is also very usefull for viewing Venus.

The Baader Neodynium filter is a great all round lunar and planetary filter and is a very usefull filter but not cheap. Don’t waste your money on plain coloured filters. I have a set that lives permanently in a drawer. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/starguider/

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/ovl-nirvana-es-uwa-82-ultrawide-eyepieces.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/moon+filter/

Edited by johninderby