Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron advanced VX mount

knobby

So ... After stripping, regreasing, adding new bearings in RA and Dec I've finally decided (should have known from day 1 really) that it's never going to handle my C8 for DSO work. I've managed to get it under 1" occasionally but never for long 😄 generally just under 2 " which is no way good enough for 1400mm focal length.

On the plus side it's easy to balance now and still a great planetary set up.

Also learnt a lot about off axis guiding so not all bad. 

• Like 2

Good mounts them AVX's considering the price.I remember Dec having a ton of friction on mine so good move with the bearings and the stripping of the 'Synta glue' as I call it. I do think AVX's do a few things better than the HEQ5 pro, but tracking performance isn't one of them sadly. I think this is partly down to the servo rather than stepper motors? 

If it works out well you should maybe consider post up a primer with the steps you took and parts you used? I'm sure there are a ton of AVX owners out there who would love to tweak their mounts. Lots of tweaks for the HEQ5 pro but maybe not so many for the AVX?

I also tried DSO's with my AVX C8 Edge and found it a no go situation. I reckon the CGX would do well with the C8 though if you ever find 2k laying around :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Alan White said:

So does this mean a new mount is on the horizon knobby?

If only ! Too much of a jump to improve ... Probably talking EQ6R to handle a C8 reliably. I'll just have to concentrate on my AZ-GTI / 72ED combo and larger targets.

• Like 1

You've got me thinking now @Alan White 😄 if I sell the AVX (full disclosure about mods and tracking being fine for 335mm and planetary) and the starsense ... Might get around £450 ish 🤞 only need to find another £650 ish for an EQ6R ...

Edited by knobby
  • Like 1